chapter 54

lovers' lake
🎶 savior complex - phoebe bridgers

It's was now dark, and they were chasing Dustin through the woods as she followed his compass

It's was now dark, and they were chasing Dustin through the woods as she followed his compass. "Dust, slow down!" Izzie fussed as the lake came into view.

"Watch your step there, bud," Eddie, who had now caught up to him, warned as he almost fell straight in.

"Aw, man. You gotta be shitting me," Steve huffed as he looked over the lake.

"Yeah, I thought these woods were familiar," Eddie sighed.

"Lovers' Lake," Robin remarked.

"This is confounding," Dustin said.

"There's a gate in Lovers' Lake?" Max questioned.

"Whenever the Demogorgan attacked, it always left an opening. Maybe Vecnas the same way," Nancy suggested.

"Yeah, only one way to find out," Steve said.

Eddie walked over, uncovering his boat. He and Steve pushed it into the water and helped Robin, Nancy, Blair, and Izzie into the boat.

Dustin tried to get in, and Eddie pushed him. "Hey, hey. You trying to sink us? This thing is meant to hold 4 people, and if you can count we've already got 6."

"It's safer this way," Izzie assured. "Just stay here, keep an eye on Max, watch out for trouble."Torie gave Izzie a nervous look. Looking to her sister, she could just sense that something was wrong. "It'll be fine," Izzie assured.

"Hey, we're fine," Blair said, hugging Torie. "Just do what Izzie said, it'll all be fine."

"You keep an eye out!" Dustin sassed. "It's my damn theory!"

"Listen to Izzie," Robin scolded.

"Who put her in charge?" he fussed.

"I did," Robin teased.

"Please, I'm the babysitter, remember?" Izzie remarked.

"We're the babysitters," Steve corrected.

"Compass," Nancy demanded, holding out her hand. Dustin whined like a kid before handing it over.

"Bedtime at nine, kiddos," Robin yelled back at them as they drove away.

"Miss you already!" Izzie waved.

As they were heading into the lake, the compass began to spin. "Woah, woah, woah," Steve said, stopping the boat.

"Guys, what's going on?" Dustin asked through the radio. "Come on, talk to me. What's going on?"

"Uh, Dustin, your compass had gone from wonky to wonky with a capital 'ahh!'" Robin replied.

"Steve, as much as I love the no shirt look, what are you doing?" Izzie asked, watching Steve take his shirt off.

"Somebody's gotta go check this thing out," he explained. "Unless one of you can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years then, it's gotta be me. No complaints, alright?"