chapter 7

empathy
🎶 iris - goo goo dolls

empathy🎶 iris - goo goo dolls

"Dammit Izzie." Steve huffed as he started the car. "Why would you do that?"

"Why are you so pissed off?" Tommy asked. "That was hot." In response to his comment, Carol reached from the back seat and gave him a smack to head.

"Why would I do that? Maybe because you were getting slammed Steve." Izzie quipped, choosing to ignore Tommy's inappropriate comment.

"You could haven gotten yourself hurt Izzie." Steve replied.

"Yeah but I didn't. You did. I'm fine, you're the one all bloody and bruised up." She scoffed. "I can't believe you're mad at me for helping you Steve!"

"I'm not mad at you." He sighed. "Just, don't do that. Don't get in the middle of dangerous shit Izzie!"

"Can we quit the sentimental bs?" Tommy asked.

"Can it Tommy. Steve, pull over so we can clean you up." Izzie requested.

Steve nodded and turned the car into the parking lot of a mini mart. As he stopped the car, Izzie handed Tommy the last of the cash she had in her pocket. "So inside and get Steve an Aspirin and something cold."

"Alright princess." He nodded.

"Izzie." Steve grumbled. "I could have payed for it."

"It's fine." Izzie replied. "It's taken care of."

The group stepped out of the car and sat outside as they waited for Tommy to return. "You know Steve, I think Izzie could have beaten Jonathan in that fight." Carol laughed.

"Please." Steve replied. "Izzie would get her ass handed to her."

Izzie rolled her eyes. "I landed a better hit on him than you did."

"That was luck." Steve replied as Tommy walked out of the store. "How much was that?" He asked as he handed him a Coke and a bottle of Aspirin.

"Dollar twenty." Tommy replied.

  "I owe you Izz"

"No you don't." She argued, taking the Aspirin and putting it in her pocket once Steve was done with it.

"Don't worry." Tommy nodded. "He's gonna need more than Aspirin when we're done with him."

"Did you see the look on his face?" Carol asked, mocking Jonathan's actions.

"I bet that's how he looked when he killed his brother. " Tommy commented.

"Oh my gosh." Carol laughed. "I just got an image of him making that face when he's having sex with Nancy."

"Can you two stop joking about Will?" Izzie said, raising her voice slightly. "It's not funny. Sure Jonathan's a weird kid. Who's definitely earned some payback for what he did, but Will is dead. Don't joke at his expense."

"Why are you all hot and bothered?" Tommy asked. "I always thought Izzie had the hots for Harrington but maybe it's been Byers all along."

"Shut the hell up Tommy." Steve stood up.

"Or what?" He asked, taking Steve by the collar. "You gonna fight me? Because if you can't take Jonathan Byers without your little girlfriend's help I wouldn't try to take me."

"Tommy let go." Izzie scolded, pulling Steve away.

"Are you gonna punch him too princess?" Carol asked.

"For once in your life shut your mouth Carol." Steve yelled.

"What's your problem?" Tommy asked.

"You're both assholes. That's my problem. You shouldn't have done that." He scolded.

"You didn't stop me." Tommy defended. "And last time I checked you did it too!"

"I did it for Izzie!" He yelled out. "I did it so she wouldn't have to!"

Izzie's eyes widened at what Steve said. He did it for her? "Of course you did. Damn can you two just bone and get it over with?!" Tommy yelled. Izzie noticed as Steve stormed to the car and she followed behind.

"Run away Harrington. Run away." Tommy scoffed as Steve started the car.

"And there goes Williams following him like a lost puppy." Carol added. Izzie stopped and instead of closing the door of the car, she stepped out to face them.

"Go to hell Carol." Izzie scorned, before bringing her hand across her face harshly.

"Psycho!" Carol called to Izzie as she got in the car and slammed the door.

"Let's go." Izzie mumbled, pulling at her seat belt. Steve drove the car out of the parking lot onto the road leading back towards his home.

"Are you okay Izz?" Steve asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine. He just pisses me off." She replied.

"Tommy?"

"Yeah." She nodded. "But I'm also mad at myself Steve."

"Why would you be mad at yourself?" He asked.

"Because look at how I treated Jonathan Byers. I mean what if he really was looking for his brother, and we made that hard for him." Izzie replied, her voice slightly breaking. "I mean out of all people I should be able to empathize with him."

A wave of realization hit Steve. No one else knew why Izzie moved to Hawkins in the sixth grade. Only Steve. How could he not have connected the dots? "Izz. I'm sorry, I didn't even think about what that could have brought up for you."

Izzie shook her head, wiping away a stray tear. "It's not your fault. Just, what would she think? What would Madi think?"

"Madi would understand." Steve replied, reaching for Izzie's hand. "She would understand." He nodded, turning into his driveway.

"Wait." Izzie said before he could turn the car off. "We should go back."

"To Tommy and Carol? Hell no." Steve replied.

"No." Izzie shook her head. "To the movie theater. We should fix what we did. That's what Madi would do."

"Okay." Steve nodded, backing out of the driveway. "You're right. We should go."

The two arrived at the theater to see an employee already on a ladder trying to clean their mess.

"Excuse me?" Izzie asked, grabbing his attention.

"Do you need some help up there?" Steve asked.

"Did you two do this?" He asked.

"No." Steve replied.

"We just want to help." Izzie added.

"Well, be my guest." The man said climbing down from the ladder and handing Izzie and Steve the towel.

There was only room for one on the latter, Izzie wanted to go up, but Steve stopped her. "I can do it. I want to do it."

  Izzie nodded, taking the other employees place and holding the ladder for Steve.

-
Only one more episode in season one! It took me so long to get to the end of season one. I'm kind of a slow writer. But Ive almost done it.

  And, before the season finale, there will be a bonus chapter to explain Madi (portrayed my Florence Pugh) and her backstory. So, expect 2-3 more chapters before we start season 2.