chapter 19

the spy
🎶 hope ur ok - olivia rodrigo

Hopper had emptied the shed, throwing all the things inside out into the backyard

Mike had formed this plan, to turn the shed into something completely unrecognizable to Will so that they could talk to the boy without alerting the virus within him. Everyone was tasked with various things to contribute to the overall plan. Izzie and Blair were in charge of finding more things to put on the walls of the shed. They were all over the house gathering tarps, foil, cardboard, sheets, virtually anything vague enough to not signal a location to Will. Nothing that could remind him of home.

Steve and Nancy were appointed to start covering the walls of the shed."Hey." Nancy said. "What you and Izzie did, helping the kids, that was really cool."

"Yeah." Steve nodded as he stapled a large piece of cardboard to the wall. "Those shits are real trouble you know."

"Yeah, believe me." Nancy agreed. "I know."

"Hey Nance?" The older boy said.

"Yeah Steve?" The younger girl responded.

"I think we both know there are better people out there for us." Steve sighed. "We weren't meant for each other, and that's ok."

Nancy nodded, she knew. "Steve, you love her. You have always loved Izzie. Please, tell her. And tell her I'm sorry, about Halloween. I shouldn't have acted like that. I was stupid and drunk and angry. It's all my fault." Steve couldn't seem to find the words to respond. He had never admitted out loud that he loved her. But he realized awhile ago.

The two were there for awhile longer before the others began gathering in the shed. Everyone was working to disguise the location, taping and stapling things all over.

They went as far as the cover the grass and the chair Will would be sitting on. By the time they finally brought Will in, the place was unrecognizable.

-

Everyone just sat. Izzie couldn't describe the feeling, it was as if you were waiting for something, but you didn't know what. Like Christmas morning but with a dark twist. Mind numbing anxiety and dread consumed the minds of the teens.

Izzie and Blair sat silently the couch as Steve stood mindlessly swinging his bat. "What if he knows?" Blair asked.

"What do you mean?" Izzie responded.

"The kid, what if he figures it out. Will they come for us?" Blair said anxiously.

"He won't." Steve cut in.

"But if he does?" The blonde replied.

"Fight like hell." Steve said. That's all he could think of. There's nothing else that they could do to stop it. Suddenly, the lights began flickering. Izzie knew what it meant. When the lights flicker, they're close. In this dimension or another, they were close.