chapter 43

every breath
🎶 uptown girl -billy joel

Izzie never had a favorite song, for most of her life

Izzie never had a favorite song, for most of her life. Only recently did she find a song that meant a lot to her. Every Breath You Take. Izzie had once thought the song was creepy, but the meaning changed for her like most things in her life have.

Every breath he takes. Every single one, could be his last. The song holds peace over her head like a toy. Not because of its lyrics, but because of its never failing ability to lie to her. It played when she had thought her encounters with the upside down were over. It played again just days before she realized it would never be over.

Steve coined it 'their song' because of all of the romantic events it was apart of. However, this was not the song playing in the background as Izzie and Steve made out like high schoolers in her old room.

Steve abruptly pulled away and Izzie laughed as he began to sing to Uptown Girl playing from her radio as he was still laying on top of her. "Steve you're a horrible singer."

"That's not nice." Steve scolded. "I'm a great singer." She shook her head, looking up at him to see a familiar glimmer in his eyes. "I love you, Izz."

She has heard it a thousand times, but somehow she still gets butterflies. For her, every time sounded just like the first time. She tried her best to hide her red cheeks. "I love you too Harrington."

Steve smiled, fixing his gaze on the girls lips. He leaned in, connecting himself to her. There was nothing he loved more than knowing she was his. She was so beautiful, he was entirely convinced that he had made her up in his mind. Forever fearing that she was only a figment of his imagination.

He was wrapped around her finger. He would die for her, he would kill for her, and he was living only for her. He pulled away, looking into her eyes. It was like he could see their life together. A nice home, far away from this nightmare town.

Unfortunately, they were interrupted by Izzie's phone ringing across the room. The blonde laughed as Steve groaned. "It's probably Blair." She said as she tried to wiggle out from under him.

"She can wait." He whined as he tightened his grip around her waist.

The blonde laughed. "She just flew in from New York, Steve. Let me go before it hangs up." Steve reluctantly rolled over onto the other side of the bed as Izzie walked over to pick up the phone.

"Guess who's back?" A voice said from the other side of the phone.

"B! Hi!" Izzie beamed. "Don't go anywhere, me and Steve are on our way!"

Steve frowned as Izzie sat down next to him. "Seriously? Izz I have work in like an hour can't she wait that long?"

"Steve, I promise we will have all break to do whatever you want. Just, I know being here is hard for Blair. She's only here for Torie, so we can at least make it worth her time. Maybe help her forget about Billy for a little."

"So why can't you do that with me?" Steve sassed.

Izzie rolled her eyes. "Because I plan on staying attached to you by the hip until I go back to school. Except for today because I'm not dragging Blair to work with you." She said with a smile as she leaned over towards him, and Steve foolishly assumed he was getting one last kiss before they had to leave. Instead, she reached over him and pulled his keys off her nightstand. "Let's go." She smiled.

"Nope, nope, nope." Steve fussed, standing up and wrapping both his arms around Izzie's waist.

"Steve what are you doing?" She giggled as Steve placed kisses around her face. "We have to go, dork."

He dropped her down, frowning at her determination. "At least I know you love me."

"I'll always love you, even though you're a total shithead." She laughed. "Now go."

-

"Bye Steve, I love you." She said as she stepped out of his car.

"I love you too! Don't forget I'll be here straight after work to pick you up!" He yelled after her.

"Got it, mom!" She shouted back with a laugh as she turned to the front door. She rang the bell and found herself waiting longer than usual. When the door finally opened, it wasn't one of the girls but instead Mr. Stevens. "Oh, hi Mr. Stevens! I'm just here for Blair."

"She's upstairs. I suppose you know your way by now." He smiled.

"Yeah, thanks." She nodded as she walked up the stairs. "Blair?" The blonde said as she entered the room.

She heard a sniffle before the girl came out of the closet. Her face was flushed and a fake smile was plastered on her face. "Hey Izz!"

Izzie frowned at the girl. "You don't need to lie to me, B."

"What do you mean?" She replied.

"You were crying. Don't pretend to be happy when you're not. I spent way to long doing that when Madi died." The blonde answered.

"No, no I'm fine. Really." Blair assured. "It's been a year, it's time to move forward."

"Blair." She said softly, sitting on the bed. "No one is allowed to put a clock on your grief. I still cry over Madi. At some point, you accept that it's something that will never totally go away. Someday, though, it becomes bearable."

The redhead wiped a stray tear. "Will I ever be able to think about him and smile?"

Izzie nodded. "Yeah." The blonde didn't always know what to say in situations like this. She understood grief, but not in the same way Blair does. Izzie could offer a lot to Max, losing an older sibling was a trauma she knew well. Losing a lover, that's an entirely different kind of grief. "Blair, maybe you and Max should talk. You two were hit the hardest when Billy died."

"You're right." Blair sighed, still trying to wipe away her tears that were now steadily streaming down her cheeks.

"We don't have to go out, we can just watch a movie." She offered.

"That would be nice." Blair nodded. "Thanks, but I really just need a second to be with myself. I need to think about things."

"Yeah, don't even worry about it." Izzie replied. "Steve can come pick me up, I'll call him."

-

so, i'm considering killing off a main character, any guesses? also i'm sorry i'm advance 🙏