chapter 31

america erica
🎶 kids in america - kim wilde

Steve handed Erica yet another bowl of ice cream

Steve handed Erica yet another bowl of ice cream. The girl smirked and pushed it back. "More fudge please." Steve stared blankly at the girl. "Go on." She waved.

Reluctantly, Steve picked up the bowl and left the table once more. "Alright." Robin said, picking up her map. "You see this? This is the route you're going to take. Then we just wait until the last delivery goes out tonight. Then you knock out the crate, jump down, open the door."

"Then you find out what's in those boxes?" Erica asked.

"Exactly." Izzie nodded.

"Hmm, and you say this guard is armed?" The girl asked.

"Yes, but he won't be there." Dustin replied, trying his best to keep the girl in their side.

"And booby traps?" Erica questioned.

"Booby traps?" Robin replied, slightly confused.

"Lasers, spikes in the wall." Erica explained, earning a laugh from the two older girls. "You know what this half baked plan of yours sounds like to me? Child endangerment."

"We'll be in radio contact with you the whole time." Robin reasoned.

"Ah, ah, ah, ah." Erica shook her head, wagging her finger. "Child Endangerment."

"Erica. Hi. Uh, we think these Russians want to do harm to our country." Dustin explained. "Great harm. Don't you love your country?"

"You can't spell America without Erica." She smirked.

"She's right." Izzie nodded. "America."

"Uh yeah. Oddly, that's totally true." Dustin said as Erica loudly slurped the last drops of her float. "So, don't do this for us. Do it for your country. Do it for your fellow man. Do this for America, Erica."

The girl took one final slurp and smiled. "Ouu. I just got the chills. Oh, from this float, not your speech." She added, wiping Dustin's smile clean off. "Do you know what I love most about this country?"

"Freedom of speech?" Izzie guessed with a cocky smile, taking into consideration the girl's talkative nature.

"Capitalism. Do you know what capitalism is?" Erica asked.

"Yeah." The three teens nodded in unison.

"Do you?" Izzie added.

"It means this is a free market system. Which means people get paid for their services depending on how valuable their contributions are. And it seems to me, that my ability to fit into that little vent, is very very valuable to you all. So. You want my help? This USS Butterscotch better be the first of many. And I'm talking free ice cream for life." Izzie's eyes widened at the sass the young girl had as she smugly ate her cherry.