Prologue: Reborn

(A/N: To those who are coming here from my previous version of this story. two things.  first, this story is nothing like the original and is going to be very different throughout.  second I'll be deleting the other version of this story a week after this is uploaded.  so if you want to read it one last time before it's down do that now.  that is all.)

(Rimuru POV)

Looking back my life as Rimuru was a strange one.  I had so little ambition to do, well, anything, yet I was also gifted with so much.  Power, friendship, an entire nation.  

and usually when you hear stories of great people and powerful leaders they are usually stories of great ambition and drive.  Yet when I look at my past actions its hard to say I was particularly driven to do anything.  I simply wanted a place where I could live happily with those around me.  and so much came from that simple half-hearted wish.  

It almost seems funny considering how cruel the world is known to be.  

...

Perhaps I had taken it all for granted.   I really have to wonder what I was thinking back then.  when I let it all go so easily.  

I want to say I tried my best...That nothing I could've done would've changed the result...but in truth I gave up before I even began to try.  And the result was born from my ambitionless, lazy, self.

As I stared at the scene before me... A line I had heard somewhere rung in my mind.  The most precious things are always far too small not to lose and far too fragile not to break.  

 I should've done something... I think as I look up at the sky.  maybe then something would've changed...

perhaps If I tried back then.  none of this would've happened.

I close my eyes as the image of how all of this started begins to form in my head.

perhaps it could've ended differently.

(Rimuru POV)

The first thing I noticed when I regained consciousness was the seemingly endless darkness that was surrounding me.

where... am I? I asked myself. As the thought crosses through my mind I feel a switch of sorts flip on in my head.

Wait what happened?!

Tempest?!

The Eastern empire?!

The western nations?!

The war?!

Memories of my life as Rimuru tempest enter my head. And it all ends with...

*silence*

... I think... I died.

The phrase calms me for whatever reason.  

... I mull over my thoughts in this darkness for a while.

So I died... but wait but if I died why am I still conscious?

Unless...

Don't tell me... my thoughts trail off but that's all I need to get confirmation from an all too familiar voice.

<<Notice. Reincarnation successful>>

Great sage... good to know you're still doing well. I joke, oh wait are you the voice of the world?  but before I could get a response I feel a sudden change in... something.

...I began to fall

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I yell moments before hitting the ground.

*boing*