Chapter 11: Honest Opinion

(Rimuru POV)

"R-Rimuru...?" an exhausted voice said between breaths.

"Huh?" I snap my head around and see the familiar face show itself chest rising and falling with each breath.

"Are...are you okay?" they said, exasperated.

"...Sophia...?" thoughts started whirling around at the unexpected encounter.

Huh? Why is she here?

Does she know about the fact I'm a monster?

"..." she slowly began to regain her breath before staring down stoically at me. I gulped nervously.

She slowly stepped forward, each step sending anxiety through me.

I didn't understand why though... it's not like I even knew her for that long... and yet I felt fear build up inside me.

Will she be afraid of me too?

Will she hate me?

I couldn't help but ask these questions. Maybe it was the idea of being alone that scared me. Having all my progress reset at the drop of a hat and a whim of a god.

She crouched before me and stared me in the eyes intently.

"Are you okay?" she asked again.

"Ah... yeah I'm fine" I found myself turning away from her gaze. The words came out with so little confidence even I had trouble believing it. But at the very least I was able to calm down.

She doesn't seem to realize I'm a monster yet. I think to myself and that gives me a little more comfort.

"..." she stared at me before lowering her head with a small sigh. "...Okay," she whispered, disheartened, for some reason, accepting my response. She got up from her spot and retreated from me as I continued to avert my gaze.

"..." an awkward silence filled the room.

"Why are you here." I end up asking.

"Well..." she takes a second to respond. "I saw you heading in this direction and it looked like something was wrong so I ended up following you," she said so blankly.

It was hard to read her. Was she telling the truth? Was she lying? Or was she hiding something? Reading her was difficult. The pause made me think something was wrong, but her face betrayed no signs of lying. However...

"..."

Hmm. wait... she saw me?

I had gotten here by flying so that would mean...

...she knows! My eyes widen as I shoot my head from the ground to her stoic face.

"so... you're a monster?" she asked. Her face remained blank.

"..."

(??? POV)

I stared at the fire lit in the fireplace from a distance. The dancing of the fire reflected in my eyes as I simply watched in mesmerization. The hot flame warmed my cold body and made me feel a nice sort of comfort.

"..." I stared listlessly at the flame with a small smile as I reminisced. The memories may have been a little painful now, but I treasured them nonetheless. It was nice to slow down once in a while and remind myself of what I'm doing.

Makes me feel slightly less like a monster.

"Haaaaa~" I let out a half-laugh half-sigh at my train of thought.