Chapter 38: Cheap Tricks

(Finn POV)

"5 card draw, we'll play 5 rounds," Sophia said. She took out a stack of several chips from her pockets.

"We can choose, we can either wait until the last round to ask all the questions, or we can discard the chips used and ask questions after each round," She explained. "If you want to use the second method any unused chips will be considered void and won't get you anything by the end of the 5 rounds," she added.

"You sure put a lot of thought into this," I said.

"Someone did," she responded.

"...I'll go with the first method," the second one was dangerous. All she had to do was go all in from the very start. If that happened then that'd either force me to use all my chips and hope that I got a winning hand or fold in which case she could ask all the questions she wanted with her chips and then end the game. That wouldn't be possible in the first game as I could just fold and at that point, she'd only get minor pieces.

It was more even. So it was better for me.

She picked up three different colored chips. "Very well, if one of us runs out of chips before the five rounds are up the game ends." she nodded, placing the white chip in front of me "The white chip allows you to ask any question and as a response, a minor hint to what the answer is, will be provided." She then placed a blue chip on top of the white one. "The blue chip lets you ask minor questions, such as: what's your opinion on X, or who do you think is responsible for Y," She continued. Finally placing the black chip down, "and finally a black chip allows you to ask a major question...like what I was doing within the two years I've been missing, or what organization you and the rest of the Loki familia have been hunting down recently," She said smoothly.

I tried not to show any surprise on my face, but it still made me nervous. My thumb throbbed, and a certain nervousness began to bubble up inside me.

"And if you are or I am caught cheating, all chips will be automatically given to the other party, sound good?"

I nodded slowly. "Alright," I said.

She looked at me quietly as I said that and after distributing the chips, she looked at me again. The chips were distributed like so:

5 white chips, 3 blue, and 1 black for each of us. A few more white chips stood off to the side in case we needed to make an exchange.

"Let us begin," she said. "Ante," She said while shuffling. We both placed one white chip at the center of the table. She finished shuffling and dealt the cards. "Oh, and good luck."

...

Three rounds passed. I had won two rounds and she had won 1. In the first round, I successfully bluffed my way into making her fold, and in the second round, she folded due to a bad hand on her own part. Last round she turned the tables on me and managed to trick me into believing I had the better hand, I had a straight of 6 to 10, she beat me with a straight of seven to jack. Which brought us to the fourth and current round. I had a few more chips than her still, 7 white chips to her 3 and 4 blue to her 2. Things were going better than I had anticipated all things considered.

I currently had a three of a kind of fives in my hand along with a king and a jack. We had yet to trade cards so with any luck I'd end up with a full house or 4 of a kind. I looked over at Sophia's face, which, as usual, showed no signs of anything. It was almost as if this game was meaningless to her. Something she suggested as nothing more than to kill time. "Betting," she muttered, "your turn," she said, staring at me.

I looked at my hand once more before I placed in a blue chip "10."

Despite not being worth actual money we still assigned value to them so that we could bid more easily. The white chips were worth 1 blue chip 10 and black chips 25 in this makeshift game of ours.