Chapter 34: Devil's in the Details

(3rd person POV)

Lily's shoulders rose and fell as she caught her breath. Staring into the eyes of the god of wine, she could see his shocked expression shift to a calmer one.

He turned around and walked toward the window, staring down at the battlefield. However, he frowned...

"What's this...?"

Suddenly the sound of footsteps sounded behind the two. Turning towards the source a child with silvery blue hair, porcelain smooth skin, and striking golden eyes entered the room.

Rimuru Tempest had appeared.

Lily pulled back, and her eyes widened.

"Hello, Lily, Lord Soma." He spoke in a polite tone. "I believe we have things to discuss."

(Zanis POV)

How had it come to this? I wondered as I recalled what led to the current situation.

Where did I mess up?

Perhaps in associating myself with her in the first place? I wonder... I thought as I recalled how things had gotten to this point.

I had been staring intently at the game board in front of me.

Sitting across from me, watching as I quietly considered my options, Ciel, or rather, Rimuru sat.

We quietly played this game in my office after we had dealt with the intruders. Honestly, it was rather anticlimactic. How they managed to evade us when we were hunting them down with Apollo was truly a mystery. They were far too weak.

The room was dimly lit by candles that Rimuru had brought with her. According to her it gave a sort of ambiance that she found pleasant. I found myself agreeing.

But perhaps more importantly she had also brought a bottle of alcohol which now sat by my side, untouched. Rimuru herself refused to drink any. Claiming she didn't drink.

Is that so? I had merely responded.

I glanced up at Rimuru's expression, but she merely smiled back at me, showing no signs of any worry or unease.

I looked back down at the board.

We were playing a game of chess to pass the time—a game introduced to this world by the gods.

I was winning, naturally. Towards the beginning, I had a more aggressive style but I soon realized that if we went head to head I would be the one to suffer so once we got to the midgame I found myself on the back foot, but her attacks were almost too reckless leaving me with a solid defensive position along with more material.

Throughout this game her queen was the biggest issue, however, I was finally in a position to take it.

I smirked, and with that move, the game would be over.

With that In mind, I moved the bishop back and defended the vulnerable pawn.

"Your move," I said. I saw a flash of annoyance on her face.

A trap. If I had taken the queen, her other bishop from across the board would've been ready to take that vulnerable pawn and check me, completely opening up my defense to her pieces.

"You're quite cautious," she half laughed and half sighed at me.

"If it seems too good to be true it probably is." I merely remarked. I glanced at the drink to my side.

I'm not sure what you're planning but just because I fancy alcohol doesn't mean you can get me with such a cheap trick, I thought.

Rimuru glanced between me and the alcohol and gave a resigned smile.