Amends

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

It's been nearly a month since Marlene moved out of Steve's apartment. Every time she left to return to her own apartment, Steve insisted on walking her home. Yet, Marlene was just as, if not more, stubborn than her brother. She constantly insisted there wasn't a need to. She said it wasn't far and she was perfectly safe. 

She lied. 

Her apartment wasn't as close as she made it sound. 

And someone was following her. 

They followed her home every time she came home after hours. She was always on her guard because of this. The person never approached her, so she never said anything. 

What she did do was keep the switchblade Bucky gave her at easy access. 

She wasn't stupid enough to deny that she was a woman with a typical woman body. She wasn't naive enough to deny that if she were attacked by a man, they would automatically have a physical upper hand. Generally, a man is bigger with more muscle than a woman. However, that didn't mean a woman couldn't handle her own, she just needed to be more careful. 

And Marlene hated it. 

Nonetheless, she kept walking. 

Unfortunately, tonight there was a particular drunk group of men. They would catcall and wolf whistle as she walked. It took everything Marlene had no to stab them. 

She found herself wishing she was in an automobile with Mr. Jarvis. She found herself wishing she had Steve by her side. She wanted Bucky there. 

Yet, she couldn't so she kept walking. 

As one of the men came closer to her, her knuckles turn white as she gripped the knife. 

"Hey-"

"Listen, buddy." Marlene glared at the man. "Clearly I'm not interested. None of your idiotic advances have worked. So go run along back to the alley you came from."

"That's one sharp tongue you got there," The man smirked. "I'd like to see what else it can do."

"How unfortunate that I like a man with class," Marlene pushed past him. 

As she moved, the man grabbed her arm. He pulled her closer to him. He looked down at her with a sickening smirk, but he was only faced with a harsh glare. 

"Let go of me," she growled. 

"No-"

"She said to let go," another voice said lowly. The voice alone sent chills down her spine. Even in the dark, she could see his blue eyes.