The Midnight Fox

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

The man, who's name was still unknown, had come to a decision. He chose to use his pill. It shocked Marlene, who believed he was going to Option A or C; A for the sliver of hope it granted, and C as a punishment for her.

"Thank you," Marlene spoke handing his the white pill. "You helped a lot."

The man glared at her, popping the pill into his mouth before biting down on it.

"Hail Hydra," he grunted as his mouth began to produce white foam.

"Let's head out," Steve declared. "It's a long walk."

And that's what they did. They walked for hours. Their stops were very limitted. Luckily, they managed to get some walking in the previous day with the prisoner. That alone helped them meet their deadline. Phillips said they had until tonight to strike. After that, he'd send in others.

They had to walk twenty five miles today, which wasn't an easy task. Yet, the walk seemed only about half that amount. The boys had managed to make it fun for Marlene. Between the singing and the constant banter, it felt like she was simply strolling through a park with a group of friends. A large park.

"Please tell me you've gotten a different get up for this mission," Marlene prayed as she turned to her brother, looking at his colorful attire.

Morita and Bucky shared a glance, stiffling a snort.

"No, this is what I'm wearing," Steve said stubbornly. "What's wrong with it?"

Marlene looked at her brother like he was a different breed of stupid.

"Sure!" she exclaimed, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Just run right on in dressed as the American Flag! Because that's not going to draw any attention to you!" She scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "Men. Honestly."

"I suppose it's a good thing I'm in charge of distracting," Steve grinned, finally getting the upper hand on his sister.

"If you cause a distraction at the wrong time, everything goes to hell," she countered, smirking.

Steve's smile fell. He pressed his lips together in irritation.

"Come on, doll," Bucky threw his arm around her shoulders. "You couldn't let him have this one?"

"Life is too short to allow Steve to win an arguement," Marlene laughed.

Steve grumbled.

"Life is short? Like Steve?" Bucky joked. He looked back at his friend, who was now taller than him by an inch, with furrowed brows. "Guess I can't use that line anymore."

"Real funny, guys," Steve called over the laughter. "Absolutely hysterical!"

"Barnes," Dugan called with a smirk. "Do you remember when that Charles character got in trouble for hanging the Colonel's undergarnements outside his tent when it was you?"