The Offer

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

Marlene never believed in things fixing themselves on their own. She believed that everything wrong needed to be fixed. She didn't believe in sitting back and letting it run its course. She was the type of person to take action.

But for once she didn't.

She told Bucky why he never said goodbye, which is what he claimed made him mad. She wasn't naive enough to think that was all of it, but she wasn't one to pry into other people's business.

The point is, she didn't try to change anything. She said her peace and went on her way. She, for once in her life, listened to Peggy. Her best friend told her to figure out why he was upset with her. She said to state her case and leave him to his thoughts.

That's exactly what she did.

When she woke up the next morning, Bucky was awake and making breakfast. That honestly scared her, thinking he was almost as bad as Steve.

That was three weeks ago.

Since then, she and Bucky were just as they had been before London.

Steve walked through the threshold of Marlene's apartment with ease. He and Bucky were there more than she was in all honesty.

"Where are my pancakes, woman?" Bucky shouted as he marched into the kitchen. He had a lopsided grin spread across his face as he unceremoniously found himself a seat. His smile reminded Marlene why so many women were at his fingertips.

Marlene pursed her lips and pulled the stack of pancakes away from Bucky just as he was about to eat.

"Hey!"

"That is no way to address a woman, James Barnes," she scolded. "Go back and do it again."

"Yes, ma'am!" He stood up and mock saluted.

As he left the room, Marlene stabbed a piece of the pancakes with a fork before popping it into her mouth. 

"Miss Rogers, can I please have some-" Bucky stopped mid-step as he saw Marlene eating his pancakes. "Are those my pancakes?"

"They were . . ." Marlene smirked as she chewed the pancake. "They're mine now I suppose."

"B-But-" Bucky stammered with wide eyes. "What about my pancakes?"

"You can always make more," Steve suggested with a small grin. "Marls has some leftover batter."

Bucky stood there for several moments, opening and closing his mouth. Marlene noted with amusement that he looked like a fish in that instance. 

"But you're pancakes are the best!" he finally protested. 

"Unfortunate, ain't it?" Marlene took another bite of the pancakes, looking Bucky dead in the eyes. She tilted her head, motioning towards a bowl on the counter on the left-hand side of the range. "Batter's right there, Bucket."