Drafted

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

The United States of America had officially entered World War II. 

In all honesty, it didn't shock Marlene. Especially after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. 

Speaking of Pearl Harbor, Marlene and Howard both agreed to stay four days following the attack to assist with the clean-up. Howard had also left a rather large donation, much to Marlene's happiness. 

The young boy whom Marlee rescued had made her a picture. It was of what she assumed was herself with angel wings sprouting from her back as she appeared from the fire. She was extremely touched by the sentiment. She found it to be one of the cutest things ever. 

Many many years later the same picture would remind Marlene what she was fighting for; to save people and provide a safer world for them to live in. 

The flight back to Brooklyn was held in silence, but neither passenger complained. 

Howard didn't have many visible injuries minus his black eye. He did, however, have a concussion. 

Marlene sported a white bandage around her left hand from where she was burned. She was also meant to stay off of her feet for two weeks thanks to her twisting her ankle badly. The crutches she was given were immediately discarded, and she continued to act as though it didn't hurt to walk. 

The silence granted Marlene the time to think. As always, her mind went to a certain Brooklyn boy with dark hair. She knew that she held feelings beyond friendship for her brother's best friend. She also knew he was just that; her brother's best friend. 

She figured he saw her as nothing more than his best friend's little sister. As much as it hurt her to think about, that's what she thought. She also didn't want things to become awkward between the two. She enjoyed the friendship that grew between them, and she didn't want to mess that up. She also didn't want to be the reason Bucky and Steve were no longer friends. She knew that if, and it's a huge if, her and Bucky were to ever become something more and things went horribly wrong, Steve might be forced to pick sides. 

Marlene also knew one thing. Life was short. If the events at Pearl Harbor taught her anything is that life can change drastically within minutes. She nearly died several times during the bombing. This, of course, was partly her fault. 

Thus, Marlene Rogers had come to a decision. 

Back in Brooklyn, Bucky decided to talk to his best friend about his feelings. To say he was nervous was an understatement. Things could go one of two ways, and knowing his luck, the odds were not on Bucky's side. 

"What did you want to talk about, Buck?" Steve asked as they sat on the couches of Marlene's apartment. 

"Would you approve of your sister ever being in a relationship?" he asked bluntly.