The First Mission

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

TW:  MENTIONS of Hilter, Nazis, and the Holocaust

Marlene couldn't hide her shock when the Colonel released his question. Whatever she had been expecting, it wasn't this. She opened her mouth to decline the offer, but stopped.

A spy?

She never saw herself as one. She didn't think she had what it took.

Seeing her hesitation, Phillips explained. She wouldn't be on the job every second of everyday. She would only be called in when they needed her. She wouldn't need much more training, believing she had the basics.

Marlene was not entirely on board. She told the Colonel that would get back to him on it.

And she did. Eventually.

She wanted to talk to Peggy about it. Yet, she couldn't risk the letter being intercepted. 

"Hullo, fellas," she greeted, sitting in one of the chair.

"Hello, Mar," Steve nodded, before looking back at the best board.

"Are you alright?" Bucky asked as he looked at her, away from the game of chess he was playing. "Have something on your mind?"

It honestly scared Marlene how well Bucky seemed to read her expressions. It scared her how he was seemingly able to understand everything she was trying to convey within a few words or even a simple glance.

She's never had this dilemma before. Not even with her ex-boyfriend. Then again, her ex probably didn't care enough to even pay attention to her.

Yet, here James Barnes was, seeming to know her better than she knew herself.

"No," Marlene shook her head. Then it dawned on her, she could get their opinions without actually revealing anything. She thought of it as her first test in a sense. "Actually yes."

"What's wrong?" Steve's head snapped up. He knew his sister had been struggling with something, but he knew better than to pry.

That was the difference between Bucky and Steve.

Steve wouldn't say anything until Marlene was ready. He'd ignore it until it was too late, or at least cutting it close to the dangerous mark.

Bucky seemed to already understand. Not only that, but he'd get Marlene to talk about it in a timely manner.

"Hypothetically speaking," She began calmly as she lowered the mug away from her face. "If you had the chance to help your country, would you?"

Steve's answer was obviously yes. Bucky studied Marlene closely before agreeing with Steve. He knew he'd gladly help, but something told him that there was something else.