Bugs On a Windshield

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

TW: death...ish?

The Howling Commandos stood utop a snow covered mountain. They were preparing to zipline onto a train.

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?" Bucky asked his best friend.

"Yeah," Steve nodded, looking below them as the wind brushed his hair away from his face. "and I threw up?"

"This isn't payback, is it?"

"Now why would I do that?" Steve responded, smirking slightly.

"We were right," Jones spoke, causing Bucky and Steve to turn back to him in unison. "Dr. Zola's on the train. Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle. Wherever h's going, they must need him bad."

Marlene hadn't done anything to acknowledge she had heard him. She was watching the train tracks with a stoic expression on her face. Her cheeks were a rosy pink. Her blonde hair was flowing behind her softly, like the flag in the court yard on a day with a slight breeze.

"Let's get going," Falsworth spoke, lowering the binoculors. "Because they're moving like the devil."

"We only got about a 10-second window," Marlene spoke before her brother could. She moved toward the zipline, grapping on to a set of handles. "You miss that window, we're bugs on a windshield."

"Mind the gap," Falsworth advised.

"Better get moving, bugs!" Dugan called.

Marlene hadn't hesitated to go, not paying any mind to the signal that Pinkerton was ready to give. She had already took two running steps, allowing herself to glide down the zipline, her blonde hair flying behind her like a banner.

Steve, Bucky, and Jones followed not far behind.

Each let go of their handles, landing in a crouch on the top of the train.

The group of four ran across the top, with Marlene in the lead. As Bucky and Steve made their way down the ladder, Marlene and Jones had their guns at the ready, preparing to shoot anything dangerous.

Everything was silent for a moment, seeming to have been going as planned. The two making their way towards Zola from the inside, and two from the outside.

Then gunshots were heard.

Marlene looked at Jones's dark face to see it matching her moment of fear.

"They'll be fine," she assured him, but she was really assuring herself. "They can handle themselves. They'll be alright."

More gunshots sounded.