L. Holidays

“Remus Lupin.”

“Olivia Alexander,” Remus replied, looking up at her. “What can I do for you?”

Olivia sat down next to Remus in the common room, and gave him a glare. “What did you do to Melanie?”

“What do you mean?” Remus frowned.

“I just talked to her, so don’t try to act like you don’t know what I’m talking about. I want to hear your side.”

“Well, that’s very fair of you.”

“I like to think so.”

Remus sighed. “Look, Liv, it wasn’t going to work. I was basically using her to get over Laura, and that’s not fair to her. And, to be completely honest, I’m not sure I want to get over Laura.”

“But what about everything you said about moving on?”

“I thought I wanted to . . . Until I tried.” He sighed. “Besides, I’m still not entirely convinced that Melanie wasn’t using me to get to James.”

Olivia’s eyes widened slightly. “Doesn’t she know that James is with Lily?”

“Yeah, but she’s one of the many girls who believe that James is going to be through with Lily any day now.” He sighed. “I don’t know why they can’t understand that it’s different this time.”

Olivia sighed. “Yeah, the same holds true for Sirius.”

“People haven’t said things to you like they have to Lily, have they?” Remus asked quickly.

“Yeah, they have,” Olivia said, looking down.

“Liv, you don’t have to put up with that,” Remus said. “Does Sirius know? I’m sure that he’d want to do something about it.”

“Yeah, something like hex everyone in sight! No, I haven’t told Sirius, and I’d really appreciate it if you didn’t, either.”

“He deserves to know.”

“Well, I’m not going to be the one to tell him. Are you?”

Remus looked at her for a moment. “It’s not my place to tell your secrets.”

Olivia smiled. “Thanks, Remus.”

“On one condition,” he teased.

“Name it.”

“That you leave me alone about Melanie, and promise never to set me up with anyone else!”

“You do realize that that’s two conditions, don’t you?”

“Those are my terms,” Remus laughed. “How you count them is up to you.”

“I think I can handle it,” Olivia laughed.

“Good,” he grinned.

Olivia looked at him, the laughter leaving her face. “You really do still love Laura, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I really do,” Remus said, feeling his grin slide away. “I wish there was a way we could work this out.”

“So do I,” Olivia replied with genuine concern. “If there’s anything I can do to help you, you’ll tell me, won’t you?”

“Of course,” Remus said. “But right now, the only person who can help me won’t even try.”

“Do you want me to talk to her?”

Remus shook his head. “Lily has tried several times. She’s not ready. She feels like I betrayed her by not telling her.” He ran his hand through his hair. “It’s silly, really. All I wanted to do was to protect her, and all I managed to do was to hurt her.”