XVIII. Summer

"Only one more week until summer," Remus sighed as he stretched out on the grass under a beech tree at the edge of the lake. "And no full moon for three weeks."

"We're sorry we haven't managed the Animagi thing yet," Peter said sadly. "We've been trying really hard."

"I know you have," Remus replied. "I've been there, remember? Don't worry about it. We'll get it next year."

"Definitely," Sirius said. "I can't wait!" He sighed. "This is going to be a long summer."

"I don't think it is," James said.

"Yeah, that's because you're going home to your normal family," Sirius said. "Summer with my family is two months of torture."

"Don't you want to hang out with Regulus?" Remus asked.

Sirius shook his head. "He doesn't want to have much to do with me anymore." He hadn't spoken to Regulus for more than five minutes at a time after his conversation with Andromeda. He was sure that she was right, and he didn't want to know any more about his brother's activities. That didn't stop him from having questions, though.

"Are you sure he doesn't want much to do with you?" James asked.

"Why?"

"He's coming this way."

"Really?" Sirius jumped up, and walked over to meet his brother. "Hi, Regulus!"

"Hi," Regulus smiled. "What are you up to?"

"Relaxing," Sirius replied. "What about you?"

"Not much." Regulus obviously wanted to talk to him, but didn't know what to say.

"I've been meaning to find you," Sirius said. "I wanted to ask you about that club you told me you joined." It was now or never.

"What about it?" Regulus asked warily. "I already told you, it's really secretive."

"I know. But I was talking to Andromeda about it, and we didn't understand some stuff."

"Like what?" Regulus seemed relieved to see that a Slytherin was involved.

"Well, she said that Narcissa and Lucius were in it, and that Bellatrix is, too."

"That's right," Regulus confirmed.

Sirius' heart sank. So it was the club Andromeda had been talking about. A small part of him had been hoping that she was wrong.

"What else?" Regulus asked.

"Well, that's a pretty big age gap," Sirius said carefully. "Why do they let older and younger students in together?"

Regulus frowned slightly. "Don't all clubs let everyone in? This one really likes to let first years in, though. They don't really like to let new upperclassmen join anymore. They did at first, but now they're only recruiting first years like me." He smiled. "When I'm in fourth year, I'll get to help recruit the new students."

"That's great," Sirius said, forcing a smile. "Are you all packed to go home?"

"Packed!" Regulus cried. "I forgot!"

"How could you forget?" Sirius laughed.

"Oh, I don't know! I guess I'm used to Kreacher doing it for me! Ugh, I'd better go. I'll talk to you later, Sirius!"

He darted off toward the castle, leaving Sirius alone. He sighed, and returned to his friends.

"What happened?" Peter asked immediately, noticing the look on Sirius' face.