XVII. Getting Caught

"Hi, everyone! How was your Christmas?" James asked as he dragged his trunk into the dormitory. His roommates were already there, busy unpacking.

"Fine," Remus replied. "I got a new book on Animagi for Christmas. I don't think we've read it yet."

"You told your parents?" James gasped. They had agreed to keep their research a secret.

"Of course not!" Remus retorted. "I just asked for a book on Animagi. I said we were learning about them in school, and I found the process fascinating. My parents were all excited about buying it for me." He shrugged. "They like to think of me as a good student, I guess."

"Which you are," Sirius said. "You're the most serious student I've ever met!"

"How were your holidays, guys?" James asked, turning to Peter and Sirius.

"Uneventful," Peter replied. "It was really boring without you guys."

Sirius grinned. "I'm touched."

"How was your holiday?" Peter asked him.

Sirius' face darkened. "Don't ask if you don't want to know."

"Sirius, don't be like that," Remus said. "You know we want to know."

"No, you don't."

"Sirius, don't make us drag it out of you," James snapped. "If you don't want to tell us, fine. But don't act like you don't, and then start talking. We wouldn't have asked if we didn't want to know."

Sirius looked at him for a moment. "Do I do that?"

"Yes," James replied.

"All the time," Remus affirmed.

"Fine, then I'll tell you," Sirius said. "Narcissa had her fiancé, Lucius, over for Christmas - have a mentioned that I hate him? - and they both kept asking Regulus all these questions about Slytherin, and talking about some Slytherin clubs and things. I'm really worried about what he's doing over there. They were all kind of secretive about what was going on, and my parents seemed really pleased about something. If they're happy, it can't be good."

"Do you think it has something to do with that club he said he joined?" James asked.

"Probably," Sirius replied. "There's no real way to find out, though, is there? I mean, he won't tell me anything. Stupid kid, he always was into doing what other people tell him to." He paused. "Speaking of which, my parents were pretty quick to inform me that Regulus is their favorite."

Remus smiled. "Come on, Sirius. Don't you think you're overreacting?"

"No, they really did! They went on about how he's the good son, the obedient son, the one who will uphold the family name." He made a face. "Stupid kid," he said again.

***

"What is it with him?" James asked as they saw Snape for the third time as they walked to Charms. "He doesn't even have a class down this way right now, does he?"

"No, I think the Slytherins have Charms in the morning," Peter replied. "He does seem like he's following us, doesn't he?"

"He's an annoying git," Sirius said dismissively. "He doesn't have a life of his own, so he has to try to become part of ours."

"Oh, be serious," Remus said. "Maybe he's spying on us for some reason."

"Why would he spy on us?" James asked.

"I don't know," Remus replied. "Maybe he's doing it for someone else."

"Sirius!"

Sirius, James, Remus, and Peter all stopped at the sound of Sirius' name. Andromeda was running down the corridor to catch up with them.