XXXVI. Sixth Year

"James! Sirius! If we don't leave now, you're going to miss the train!"

James and Sirius struggled to drag their trunks down the stairs of the Potters' house. James' fingers itched to pick up his wand and levitate the trunk down to the foyer.

"Why are we still underage wizards?" he moaned.

"Because we're sixteen," Sirius said helpfully. "Did you get Owl?"

"Bloody hell," James muttered. "I left him in my room."

"James Potter, watch your language!" Mrs. Potter said as she walked into the foyer to help them.

"Sorry," James said. "I'm going to get Owl."

She shook her head as she watched him run up the stairs again. The front door opened, and Mr. Potter came in.

"Are you all ready?" he asked. "I have the car waiting."

"I'm ready," Sirius said, lifting his trunk again to carry it out to the car. "James went back upstairs to get Owl."

Mr. Potter nodded, and grabbed one end of Sirius' trunk. They stowed it in the car, and returned just as James came back down the stairs carrying Owl's cage and supplies.

"Here, give those to me," Mrs. Potter said, reaching out to remove some of the items from his arms.

"I've got it, Mum."

"No, you don't, and if we don't hurry you're going to miss the train. Give Owl to me, and you can handle the rest of it."

Sirius smiled at the mild scolding. He loved to watch James with his parents. Their relationship amazed him. He had never had that with his own mother and father.

They finally had everything settled in the car, and were off. James looked at Sirius with anticipation.

"This is going to be the best year yet," he said.

"Why?"

"We have tons of stuff to look forward to," James said. "Aren't you excited to see Remus and Peter and everyone again?"

Sirius laughed. "By everyone, do you mean your fan club?"

"I'm sure they've missed me," James grinned.

Sirius shook his head. "But what about -?"

"Later," James said in an undertone, knowing that his mother and father were listening to their conversation. He continued in his normal speaking tone, "You know, this could be my year to be Quidditch captain."

"Really?" Mr. Potter asked, glancing at James in the rearview mirror.

"Really," James affirmed. He gave Sirius a look that clearly said that he knew they were listening. Sirius bit his lips to keep from laughing.

"That's really exciting, James," Mrs. Potter smiled, turning partway around to look at him.

James smiled back. "Well, Eric graduated at the end of last year, and Olivia and I have been on the team the longest."

Sirius grinned. "It's in the bag, Prongs. You're golden."

"You don't think Olivia will be stiff competition?" Mr. Potter asked.

"No one can touch James," Sirius grinned.

"But we're going to need a new Seeker," James said. "This could be tough."

Their conversation centered around Quidditch until they reached King's Cross. Mrs. Potter looked up at the clock as they made their way toward the platform.