XXXVII. The Tangled Web

"Well, that was productive," James said as he and Olivia walked back from Quidditch practice together.

"James, don't just say that to make me feel better."

"No, really! I think that Keith is finally getting the hang of being a Seeker."

Olivia groaned. "Why did we pick him?"

"Because he's little, and he's the only one who had any talent at all," James replied.

Olivia groaned again. "Just shoot me now! If Derek could see what's become of his team, I think he'd kill me."

"Derek had two losing seasons before we joined the team," James reminded her. "And consider the bright side - we won't have to have tryouts next year."

"Not unless I start kicking people off the team," Olivia said bitterly.

"Ouch, Liv," James laughed. He looked up at the Fat Lady. "Amistad."

She smiled, and swung forward. Almost as soon as James had entered the common room, Veronica threw herself at him. Olivia watched her with dislike. How could she fling herself on James before he even had a chance to - No. She couldn't think about it. She did not like James Potter like that.

"Hey," he laughed. "What's got you so excited?"

"Would you be happy if I said you?"

Olivia fought back the urge to strangle Veronica. No, no, she had to stop those thoughts!

"Well, I would, but I know that I'm a dirty mess, so I'd know you were lying."

Veronica giggled. "Seriously, I have news. Next weekend is a Hogsmeade weekend!"

Olivia held her breath. Hogsmeade?

"Really?" James smiled. "Well, do you want to go with me?"

"Of course, silly!"

Olivia walked away. She didn't want to watch the happy couple anymore.

"Oy! Padfoot!" James bellowed across the common room. "Did you see the Hogsmeade notice?"

"Yup," Sirius grinned. He left his seat, and joined James and Veronica. "Chelsea and I are going together."

"Of course," James replied. "Is Remus taking Laura?"

"I'm sure," Sirius said. "He's with her right now - somewhere around the castle. They'll probably have their date all set up by the time they get back."

James nodded. "And please tell me that Peter's taking April."

"Yes, he is," Peter said as he came in the portrait hole. He looked quite proud of himself. "I just asked her."

"Alleluia!" Sirius exclaimed. "Wormtail is finally joining the ranks of those with girlfriends!"

Peter grinned. For too long, he had felt left behind, watching while his friends moved into relationships. Now, finally, he was part of the group again.

"Don't tease him," Veronica said with a smile. "Peter's a nice guy. I'm sure lots of girls want to date him."

"Yeah," Peter said, flashing Veronica a grin.

"Do you want to?" James teased.

"Well, I have you," she smiled. She reached up to kiss his cheek.

James grinned. "You certainly know how to say the right things."

She laughed. "We all have talent."

Sirius' eyes swept the room. "Where did Olivia go?"

"I don't know," James said, looking around. "She was right here a minute ago." He shrugged. "She probably went to hit the showers - which is exactly where I should go." He leaned down to kiss Veronica's forehead. "I'll see you later, lovely."