| 23 |

DRACO
hesitantly opened the door to her mother's room. He checks on her every few hours and his heart rate picks up every time. It's like he's playing a game of chance. If he's lucky, she'll be in the mood to say at least a few words. If he's not, she'll completely ignore him.

  He can't really blame her. He basically forced her hand to come here and burnt down the only good place she had left. But can they really blame him for doing so?

  Dementors were now a permanent fixture around the Mansion grounds. They never come close enough to do anything, but Draco could see them from afar. Cloud of darkness looming around waiting for it's prey, like spies always watching and hovering. Her mother has nightmares every night, Draco too, it's like they're having screaming matches each night.

  He set her tray of dinner on her bedside table, a simple chicken broth soup. He'll pray to Merlin that she'll take a few sips before she'll kick him out. But today she surprised him.

  "You're late today." She told him. She has never spoken first.

  "Yeah." He answered, he didn't know she was actually waiting for him. "Blaise and Theo are in the study room. We got carried away talking about stuff."

  Her mother challenged him. "Tell me what really is going on."

  Draco debated on what his next actions would be and what he should say but when his mother put on her serious gaze, he went back into the scared little boy he always was around her.

  "Lucius Malfoy broke out of Azkaban." He finally told her.

  Her mother's hand went to cover her mouth, the tears immediately flowing down her cheeks.

  He didn't wait for her mother to respond, so he continued. "He escaped along with a few other Death Eaters. It's on the front page of the Daily Prophet and the Ministry is currently in the process of locating them. They want to prevent another war from happening and - " 

  "Stop it!" Her mother interrupted him, putting her hand up. Her voice was louder than usual. "Stop please."

  Draco kept his mouth shut. Maybe he shouldn't have to spill everything to her but he couldn't help himself. He just wanted to rip the band-aid right off. Now he just felt stupid. His mother was not stable and overloading such heavy information was probably not a good idea.

  Narcissa's whole body was trembling. Her lips quiver just like Draco's does when he's starting to cry or nervous. Her sobs began to fill the room. Draco just stood there like a lunatic. He moved to place a hand on her shoulders but it just made her cry louder and she swatted her hand away.

  "So... he's out there... looking for us?" Her mothers eyes looked pained as he looked at him. "The Dementors.. The cold... their back.... Oh God Draco their back! I can't do this, I can't go through it again I can't!"

  Draco moved instantly and hugged her mother tight. Narcissa laid her head on his chest and she crumpled her white button down in her fist. Her tears soaked his shirt through.

  "That's why I brought you here Mom." He assured her, "I came here to protect you."

  "How?" Her mother screeched. "How are you going to protect me?? What power do you have??"

  He never felt so hopeless in all his life. He was such a disappointment that even his own mother did not believe in him.

  "I'm going to try my damn best." That was all he could answer.

  Her mother kept crying and crying. He didn't move a muscle.

  "You shouldn't have brought me here." She suddenly went angry. She started hitting his chest over and over. Draco welcomed the pain, he deserved it. "You should've just let me die!!"