| 60 |

DRACO thought killing his father would have felt more liberating. He imagined it a million times in his head. The feeling of vengeance finally quenched after years of building resentment. That finally his mother and him would be free and he would live a peaceful life.

It was not the case.

He also thought that today would end up being one of the days he would be able to forget. That when they destroy their enemies and keep the stones away for safekeeping and store it deep within the Ministry, it would be over.

It was not the case either.

It was a day he will never forget, even if he tried. The day he understood what loss truly means and what heartbreak actually feels like.

He was just a finger away from tackling her to the ground. He was going to throw away the ring or even cut her finger off if he needed to, at least then she would still be here calling out his name.

One step too late.

The universe was not finished punishing him yet.

———

When Catherine used the killing curse to destroy the stone, there was a bright red wave of light bursting from her palm and it erupted. The force of the blow sent Draco flying back, landing again on the ground.

Then everyone went quiet.

Draco didn't want to open his eyes.

No. No. No.

This was not fucking happening, he refused to let it happen.

She did not leave him. She did not just break her promise. She was alive and well.

She didn't just kill herself.

Everything around him pales in comparison. All the colour of life was sucked out of his eyes.

He slowly stood and that was when he saw her.

His gaze momentarily snapped towards his father. Who was standing there right behind, looking like someone who hadn't eaten in days. Maybe once the power of the stone was removed, it showed who he really was. A weak bastard.

It wasn't even anger, just plain emptiness that made him pick up his wand and killed him. With a non verbal spell, quick and swift, the green light went straight into his chest. His body crumbled and slumped forward. Draco always imagined the torture he wanted to inflict on him. Making him suffer to great depths because he deserved it.

It didn't matter anymore.

Everything was numb.

And Draco fell to his knees.

Catherine was a few feet in front of him. Gone was the light that sparkled in her deep brown irises. Gone were the little wrinkles on her forehead when she lies or the little scrunches of her nose. The last ghost of a smile was still visible on her blue lips, but her warmth was nowhere to be found.

He wanted to scream, how badly he wanted to tear out the pain building into his chest. But Draco opened his mouth and at that moment nothing came out yet. His cheeks were wet but he couldn't even cry out loud. His body had shut down on him.

Everything was suffocating at the thought of Catherine being out of his life.

"Catherine..." he called out her name and choked on the last syllable, "Catherine."

Her voice. He would never hear it again and this time the pressure in his chest started to hurt. A flashback of when she called his first name for the first time played in his brain. He closed his eyes, his hands pulling and tugging on his hair.