~Sinking Ship~

The news about the team's defeat spread like wildfire. A culprit of the school's dishonor had to be designated. Shota, who no one saw since the basketball match, remained absent. By his absence, he offered the vengeful Junpei the opportunity to run propaganda, which bestowed the blame on the heir.

The whole school took the bait, but the guys on the team and Sunny knew the truth. Shota found himself suspended from basketball practice at his return, and he seemed happier than ever.

"I have more time for you," the boy said to Sunny, who blushed.

Love is beautiful, she thought. Sunny ignored her grandmother's warning Shota was a 良い児 [iiko=good boy]. Polite, intelligent, and from the right family. If there were someone to dump the other, it would be him. Shota Matsumoto was above Sunny's league.

As the days went by and they grew closer, Sunny longed for him even when he sat a few seats away. His delicate face, smile, and twitching lips when he pondered on what to say. So many things made Sunny's heart burst. Yuta continued his boycott, throwing killer sentences now and then. Only to die from Madoka's hands daily, reviving at the church as if he were an avatar in an RPG game.

Another desire overwhelmed Sunny every time they were close; she wanted to kiss him. Their first kiss was a mishap, but now she wished to express the overflow of feelings she had for him. The idea sprouted and stagnated in her mind till the point; obsessed Sunny would bluntly stare at his lips.

°°°°

Then came a day. It was not a particular day in any way; it was just hot and highly humid; the clouds menaced to unleash buckets, and they held their promise.

As soon as Sunny and Shota had parted from Madoka, it rained. The couple ran under the puddles. The wind was strong, and Sunny's umbrella did not survive. Shota's blazer jacket sheltered their heads as they took refuge at a bus stop.

From under it, the couple watched the drops fall. Never had rain looked so beautiful in Sunny's eyes, maybe because she watched its descent with the boy she liked? Suny turned to look at him, realizing her crush was more significant than she admitted. Their absurd circumstances and awkward beginnings dissolved like the rain. All that remained were genuine feelings.

Shota's cheeks were flushed like hers from the sprint. Drips of water fell from his bangs. His shirt, transparent from being drenched like hers, showed his undershirt. In contrast, Sunny's revealed the plain white of her bra, which made Shota blush and redirected his stare to her eyes only.

Toki ga kita, the perfect instant, Sunny approached her face close to his. Shota's lips were just a breath away, whispering to hers. The smell of Sunny's gloss was intoxicating Shota drew nearer while still holding his jacket over them. Sunny's lips grazed his first, sending an electrifying sensation all over the boy's body. Her lips were soft, sliding as the cream of her gloss glued their lips together. They kissed, taking their time as the rain poured, and time seemed to stop for them, hearts pounding in their ears, celebrating the reciprocity of the sentiment of love. The kiss felt like coming home at last to the place where you belong.

The rain stopped, and the two pulled away from each other, turning their heads to hide the crimson red of their faces. Sunny went hopping around the puddles where the rainbow reflected, smiling at Shota. The sun's rays on Sunny's face felt like blessings on this day, which resembled a dream.

The young woman spun round to look at Shota, who lowered his head, covered his face with his hair. Sunny whispered his name, approaching him at the moment Shota lifted his head.

Shota's facial expression was a blank space as if he saw something which left him speechless. Then his gentle traits became hard, and his eyes roared with anger.

"Shota," Sunny whispered again.

Shota's mouth opened to utter one word only, "bitch" before running away and leaving Sunny in the utmost confusion. Sunny stayed stunned for countless minutes, unable to seize the sequence. Tears leaked drip by drip, transforming into a torrent as the rain fell again. Drenched to the bone, the girl walked home, entering her house where her grandmother ran to prepare a hot bath for her.

Sunny remained silent, automatically executing each gesture as her mind replayed the scene non-stop. An episode in which the repeat button stayed jammed on.

What happened?

Was it really the boy who had kissed her seconds earlier who looked at her with such resent?

Did Shota really pronounce such a foul word at Sunny's intent, or was it the fruit of her imagination?

Tortured and too ashamed to call Madoka for advice, Sunny sat all night pondering.

°°°°

The next day it was livid that Sunny greeted Madoka and Yuta. The girl's heart sank as she saw no Shota insight.

"Sunny daijoubu?"

Sunny had been dreading the moment, yet she was waiting for it to cry her heart out. Unable to tell her grandmother about the incident, she yearned for some comfort, and Sunny knew her friends would not let her down.

"What is it, Sunny? Is it him? I will smash that bishonen face of his, I swear," Yuta asked.

"Shut up, Yuta, let her speak," Madoka said.

"Sunny, what happened?" Her friend repeated.

"He, he said I was a bitch."

"Naniiiii," shrieked Yuta.

"Yuta, urasai," Madoka yelled.

The bus arrived, and the three friends got on.

Sunny tried to explain the best she could, but all was still confused in her mind; the words came out in incomprehensible knots.

"So let me repeat, you two kissed and then-."

"Who kissed who first?" Yuta interrupted.

"Yuta, how long do you hope to live? Because I swear, I will shorten your lifespan to the point where you won't have enough for your next reincarnation."

Yuta gulped and listened quietly.

"I kissed him first, I mean I wanted to, ah mo I don't know."

Yuta's eyes narrowed; he wanted to tear Shota to shreds when he thought about the privilege Sunny had given him.

How dare this rich boy mistreat Sunny? The boy thought, overwhelmed by jealousy.

"Did you say anything else, maybe something else annoyed him? People don't share body fluids and insult one another. I mean, there has to be a rational explanation." Madoka said while she tried to convince herself more than Sunny. Madoka was that girl who, when things got too emotional, employed the weirdest terms of vocabulary.

°°°°

After commuting, they arrived at school, their conversation slowed them down, and they only had 3 minutes to regain their classes.

Sunny rushed to hers, stopping at the door as she witnessed what she thought was a mirage. Shota was in deep conversation with Asano San, who beamed with joy.

"Shota," Sunny said, entering the class.

The boy did not turn; Sunny walked up to tug on his sleeve.

"Ah-mo, what do you want?" Shota said, annoyed.

The whole class turned to watch. Asano went to go to her seat without saying a single word.

"Can I talk to you?" Sunny asked.

They needed to talk; she needed an explanation.