*Sportsu Taikai*

Sunday flew by fast, and Monday came to traumatize Sunny. It was sportsu taikai day. The school's halls would fill up to the brim with the teen fighting spirit. It was one of the reasons she loved Japan so much. These events made you burn with enthusiasm towards tradition. In moments like this, Sunny felt incredibly proud of her Asian heritage.

No straight hair for that day; Sunny wore her hair in a bun.

Would Shota be there? It would be weird if he came.

"Ittekimasu."

"Itterasshai."

°°°°

"Get ready; Sunny today 2B is going to bite the dust," said Madoka. She pointed her finger in Sunny's direction before chuckling like a jackal.

Sunny smiled, "Hai, hai, Yuta, let's do our best we shouldn't let Mado's class crush us."

"Ah, めんどくさい [mendokusai=It's annoying] groaned Yuta. He had lost a lot of weight, but he was not more of a sportsman.

"It will be fun, Yuta," Madoka said while bumping into him on purpose, only to stop as her face grew red. Sunny didn't miss the detail and Yuta's unusual pink-tinted cheeks. Sunny dismissed the budding idea. Why did she keep pairing them up in her head?

On the bus, Madoka only talked about pulverizing other classes with her devilish chuckle. Yuta played on his phone while Sunny wondered how Shota's date had gone. It was healthy curiosity, thought Sunny.

They stopped at the kombini to buy their fuel, aka food. On sports taikai day, the school's cafeteria became a no-mans-land, and many cried of hunger, unable to find or buy something. The vending machines surrounding the school stood like empty coffins.

°°°°

Upon Sunny's arrival in class, a group of girls surrounded and giggled around Asano San. Sunny could only imagine what made everyone whisper. Some boys seemed in mourning, particularly Wakaba San, who complained to Sugimoto San, "I told you she would go out with him. They even kissed."

"Ano野郎 yaro," Sugimoto San scrunched a piece of paper in his hand and threw it backward. Sugimoto San turned as he didn't hear the paper land only to find a threatening-eyed Matsumoto holding it.

"Matsumoto San," exclaimed Wakaba San and the rest of the class. No one expected him. Shota walked directly to his seat without beating lashes at Asano San, who saw her little group disperse. Asano San bowed her head in Matsumoto's direction, who did the same with a weak smile. Everything seemed well between them.

"Ma iie ka," thought Sunny. The teacher arrived, and the class set off to battle.

The morning was intense, and Madoka was not the only bloodthirsty her whole class was like Spartans.

Shota took part in a lot of team games, and Sunny raced. This feeling of coming together was what she loved about Japan. This moment of unity, sportsu taikai, brought people together. Perhaps this was the reason for Matsumoto's presence; he also wanted to be part of the event by connecting with others through the games.

The theory pleased Sunny, they were teens, and this day was one of the best moments of their lives.

°°°°

At lunchtime, Sunny joined Yuta. Madoka was too business peep talking her class to eat with them.

"So Matsumoto is back?" Yuta asked

"Yes."

"And?" Yuta asked with a curious eye.

"And nothing, everything is how it should be."

"No, regrets?"

"Only memories."

Yes, the memory was there. Sunny would never forget the feelings Matsumoto stirred in her and the emotions she felt for him.

"And you, Yuta, how are you?"

"What do you mean, how am I? I'm fine, the way I've always been. Sunny, will you save me a dan—."

Yuta didn't get the chance to finish as Junpei interrupted him, picking up on Yuta's last word.

"Dance, Sunny, can you save me a dance?"

"Nani, nandé?" [What? Why] Sunny asked.

"If you don't want to."

"She doesn't want to," Yuta replied.

"Gomenasai Senpai, I'm late for the semi-finals," Sunny said, dodging the basketball captain and leaving for two boys.

It was only later when Sunny stood on the starting line she realized what she had done.

"Oh, mo," she mumbled.

Her conversation with Yuta left her nostalgic, and Saitama's unseemly question left her frustrated. Why did all these boys have to spoil her day?

"Ganbatte."

"FIGHTING."

"Ike."

Cries of encouragement came from everywhere as the race began. It was when Sunny had finished the first lap she saw her standing on the higher grounds with an umbrella.

"Sora."

Sunny's gaze lingered on the girl. Not looking where she was going, she fell, biting the dust and hurting her ankle at the same time. The race continued, but for Sunny, it was over. As if things could not get worse, the class representative, who was no other than Asano San, was to take her to the infirmary. Wakabé San dedicated himself to supporting Sunny and helping her to walk there.

In the meantime, Yuta, unaware of Sunny's injury, still dreamt of dancing around the fire with her, while Madoka wondered if Yuta would agree to dance with her as she stole another ribbon from another team.

°°°°°

Sunny sat in the infirmary, tired and frustrated.

"You really are something Watanabé San, you always reel in the attention towards you," Asano San said.

"I didn't do it on purpose."

"Whatever, anyway," Asano San said before crossing her arms, "I want you to be the first to know Matsumoto, and I have moved on to the next stage of our relationship.

For the first time, Asano San made Sunny smile. What she said seemed so ridicule in Sunny's ears. Still, Asano San clouded Sunny's thoughts. The next stage meant they had kissed, and nothing happened. Dr. Hyde didn't appear. Instead, Matsumoto came to their sports taikai; this was the reason for his presence. He was there for her.

"What's so funny? What's making you smile?" asked the porcelain doll.

"Asano San."

"Nani?"

"I wish you all the best," said Sunny before turning her gaze to look at the window, thinking how lucky birds were to fly. If she could, she would fly away from these constant moments of embarrassment.

Asano San smirked, "Ah, arigato," she then left.

"Proud of yourself?" Asked Junpei, who stood in front of the infirmary door.

"あなたには関係ない "[anata ni wa kankénai=it has nothing to do with you].

Junpei's plans fell in the water with Sunny's sprained ankle, yet he came to see her finally chickening out in front of the door.