~Row your boat away~

To toss or to turn?

To turn or to toss?

Sunny could not sleep; it was awful. The episode which took place with Matsumoto after basketball practice made the Saitama trauma float to the surface.

The abrupt change in Matsumoto's attitude scared Sunny. Had Matsumoto been pretending to be pleasant along?

Random thoughts kept bothering the girl who turned off her alarm at 6:30 AM, harboring correctly drawn panda eyes. The wavy head girl already felt the gloom of a lousy day evade her room, yet she got ready.

As Sunny straightened her hair, she wondered about how she would bring up the break-up subject. Would the boy even show up at the bus stop? Deep down, Sunny hoped he would not.

"Ittekimasu, grandma, I'm leaving."

"Itarasshai," Sunny's grandmother said.

Kamaisama listened to her prayers, for Matsumoto was nowhere in sight. Instead of rejoicing, other ideas came to Sunny's mind.

What if it was he who chose to end their relationship?

Even if they were not a real couple, the notion of being dumped again made Sunny shudder. The girl had to find a way to beat him to it and drop him first.

°°°°

Like all the other days of the week, she was the last to arrive at the bus stop.

"Ohayo," Sunny chanted as she tried to hide her stress. The girl was in a phase where she regularly practiced the notion of gaman [我慢, enduring].

"Ohayo."

"Osu," Yuta replied as a greeting, still vexed at the idea Sunny deserted them to see Matsumoto.

"Wow, what's with the tanuki [raccoon] eyes, don't tell me you stayed up watching dramas all night," Madoka exclaimed.

"I didn't sleep; I had a horrible night, the worst ever," Sunny replied.

"Why, what happened?" Madoka asked as the bus pulled up.

"It's obvious; I don't see the Ikemen. I bet something happened with Matsumoto," Yuta added in an accusative tone while he got on the bus to swipe his Suica card.

Madoka frowned, "Sunny, what happened?"

"Ah-mo, gaman dekinai,[I can't endure this any longer]," Sunny said with a sigh seeing how weak her endurance was. Under pressure, she surrendered and explained the incident the best she could, while Yuta interrupted now and again like a spiteful mother with I-told-you-so comments as they commuted.

"Stop it, Yuta," scolded Madoka, "don't you understand you're making things worse?"

"Ha, so it's my fault, this girl doesn't know how to recognize a good guy, and it's my fault?" Yuta retorted as they entered the school gates.

The school's atmosphere had not changed; everything appeared to be normal except that Shota was absent. And it disturbed no one when the homeroom teacher announced he was sick; everyone was used to his disappearance. Only Sunny was not indifferent.

Why isn't he here? She pondered as she scanned the class.

°°°°

Matsumoto had been with her for two weeks; his presence protected her from the fan club's vendetta and class spite. Here she found herself alone with no one to talk to or pair up within class. It came as a big surprise when Asano Sumire came to work with her in cooking class.

"Asano, what are you doing?" Mori San hissed when the school's idol came to sit next to Sunny.

"We require to work in pairs, so I'm pairing up," Asano San replied, making the whispers stop.

Sasuga Orihime sama, distinguished all the way. What a generous soul she is, Sunny thought.

"Arigato," Sunny said, attempting to hold back from hugging the girl who saved her from alienation.

Sunny found herself unable to avoid staring at her new partner. All Asano's features were refined, and her white porcelain skin looked smooth. Asano's thick long black hair streamed down her back flawlessly, shinning like fibers of silk.

Everything about Asano Sumire was sublime; Sunny wondered if some of her grace could brush off on her while they sat. The French girl never envied or experienced complex by others, but sitting next to this princess, Sunny wished to be like her.

"Asano San wa totemo utsukushii, o ningyo mittai," Sunny let out.

"So, many say, I'm all but that, I am a pebble," Asano San replied.

A beautiful pebble, Sunny thought as she gazed at the work of art.

Sunny spoke without reasoning. How could she bluntly tell Asano San she was as pretty as a doll. Her own words embarrassed Sunny even more when she imagined that Matsumoto had chosen her over this beautiful girl next to her.

"Gomenasai Asano San," Sunny blurted.

"Why are you apologizing?" Asano San asked.

"Eto, Matsumoto, no hanashi, no koto."

Asano stopped pouring the milk for their recipe and turn to face her partner.

"What about Matsumoto? He chose you what more is there to say; I wish you two to be happy," Asano San said.

There was something in her tone of voice, which pricked. A pinch of spite, or was it jealousy? Either way, manner was not the one you would expect from miss nobility.

"Eéé, sumimasen," Sunny said, hoping the model would reform her sentence. Sunny needed to be reassured about her ear's function.

"o shiwase ni," Asano San said, smiling.

Asano San's answer almost had Sunny persuaded. The tone was more balanced and more convincing in her ears.

Still, at the same time, something seemed artificial, had Sumire caught on of Sunny's suspicion? The situation was delicate, and Matsumoto's kanojo was not at the end of her surprise.

°°°°

>>>つづく(To be continued)