~Lighthouse~

Flickering lights, standing out in the darkness. Rays of hope, a house you don't call home but sanctuary.

Shota had a fiancé. The word alone made the red rush to Sunny's cheek. The teen's mental gem hit rock bottom. Not only did she desire to have Shota back, but Sunny wished for an almost married man. Why did she not think of this? It was common for the rich to be engaged. Miyaké Sora, strangely enough, Sunny didn't resent her. Something told her Miyaké too suffered, despite her apparent bubbly humor.

Another detail that intrigued Sunny, Haruka's behavior was odd. His words were cold as usual, but his hawk eyes seemed dormant as he interacted with Sora. From a spectator's view, Haruka appeared to be in total submission.

もしかして[Muskaseté=maybe,] iie-iie-iie真逆 [masaka=never], the idea was crazy, but Sunny's female intuition told her that the thought wasn't so far farfetched. There was one problem, though if her theory was verified and Sora was Shota's fiancé, and there was no miracle to expect there.

"Ittekimasu."

"Itterasshai."

°°°°

After the cries, Sunny felt nothing could bring her down. It was Saturday, and the trio of friends planned an outing. Sunny opted for her oversized cropped legged dungarees, gray t-shirt, NETIZEN tote bag, and Birkenstock sandals. She did a messy doo-doo bun on her hair, which of course, didn't hold, making her go for a side ponytail of the last resort. All this made her look like a hikikomori let loose in the city the first time. As for her lips, peach was the new strawberry. The red fruit reminded Sunny of Shota. The scent alone brought back the sensation of the spiteful kiss under the rain.

Sunny hurried to join Madoka and Yuta.

Surprised by her friend's attire, Sunny stunned bluntly, staring at the duo. She looked like a gardener without her wellingtons, whereas her friends were prepped up.

Madoka abandoned her glass rims; she wore a medium-length tent dress and white SK8 Hi. She had even curled her hair.

On the other hand, Yuta wore fake glasses, a polka dot Comme des Garçons polo, and navy cropped chino pants. They both looked adorable, Sunny thought as she realized she was pairing everyone up in her head.

In a twisted way, she was.

"Ohayo," Sunny greeted them.

Everyone changed; during the time, she focused on Shota and herself. What a lousy friend she had been, yet neither complained.

Sunny's gaze switched from one to another. Yuta almost towered over her; his change was the most spectacular. In one summer, his voice deepened, and not only did he lose three waist sizes, but his body seemed sculptured. In his outer school clothes, Yuta's dress sense was outstanding for a so-called nerd.

"Sunny, are you okay?"

"Umm," she replied with a smile.

"Good, let's have fun."

Sunshine Sunny was back, slowly overcoming her sadness after mourned her love story. Sora seemed nice; Sunny suppressed her desire to retrieve Shota as a lover. She would content herself with being his friend if he accepted. No longer blaming herself or him, she just wanted things to go back the way they were when he would glare at her from the bench. The thought made her smile to consider those moments as a good memory.

°°°°

They went to Sega Joypolis in Odaiba, where Yuta was like a child who saw his first snowfleck. They went wild on the bumper cars. Madoka was merciless, with Yuta bumping him into pieces. On a few other games, too, the girl gave the Otaku a run for his money. Yuta went to sulk and comfort himself by buying refreshments. At the counter stood a familiar face.

"Hello, what would you like to order?"

Yuta had spent weeks looking for her, and there she was without an effort to make. Saori was the only person who could explain Shota's brutal change of behavior, and Yuta was curious to know. It wasn't the time and place, but at least he knew where to find her.

"I'll have three packets of crisps, a strawberry, a banana, and a chocolate shake, please."

Yuta observed Saori; she wasn't the nervous wreck they had met in Akihabara. What exactly did Shota do to her?

"Thank you," he replied as she handed him his order.

Yuta hurried to get back only to find Madoka surrounded by three guys who seemed persistent. Sunny wasn't there.

I can't leave these girls alone a few minutes, Yuta thought as he walked to where she was. The boys were of his height and didn't look like tough guys, but they appeared to be annoyed.

"What do you think you are too pretty to give your number?" Yuta heard as he approached.

"I'm not alone. I'm waiting for someone," Madoka replied.

The boy was about to speak when Yuta intervened.

"She's waiting for me," what had gotten into him Madoka didn't need protection. She was capable of flattening these guys into mochi.

"And who are you? kareshi ka [is it your boyfriend]?"

Yuta hesitated; if he said yes, Madoka would send up on his way to meet Buddha for the white lie, yet he replied, thinking it was the only way to get rid of them.

"Ha-."

"He is my boyfriend."

Sunny, who was coming back from the toilet, only caught the sentence in mid-air, which made her blush for a reason she didn't understand. What was going on? A quick scan of the scene gave her a hunch on the scenario?

The boys backed away, leaving Yuta and Madoka as red as lobsters.

"Daijobu Mado?"

"Where were you, Sunny? Madoka was alone," yelled Yuta.

"I went to the toilets."

Madoka couldn't speak but still assessed the situation.

Since when did Yuta stick up for people apart, Sunny?

And it wasn't her imagination. Yuta was willing to say he was her boyfriend to save her. Tiny drops of sweat pricked her forehead as her heart raced. Yuta was a certified wimp; only Sunny drew out the heroes in him. The fact he stood up for her knowing she could break the boy's necks like chickens, warmed Madoka's heart.