~Plunging waves~

"Sunny, do you have something to say?"

Sunny remained silent; there was nothing to say for her defense, simply because she did not know the crime she committed, but she was with all these prying eyes, which almost made her feel guilty.

"Well, if you won't say anything, then it's settled. You'll have three days of suspension to think about your actions, and this incident will be added to your year's report card."

Sunny stayed stoic unable to seize what happened even when they announced the sanction, and now also at home in front of her granny, the words refused to come out. Instead, Sunny cried in the comforting arms of her gran. Satsuki came to fetch her at school with her kimono and geta sandals.

Satsuki did not ask any questions until her granddaughter finally spoke.

"I didn't do it, granㅡ.

"I know, I know, one has to be a fool to believe someone as kind-natured as you could do that. Now finish with the tears and help me cut these vegetables.

Satsuki did not scold, they cooked to forget, and Sunny's heart calmed itself.

The doorbell was what interrupted their family moment.

"I'll open, grandma," Sunny said. She washed off her hands and hurried went to the door.

"Sunny daijobu," Yuta and Madoka said in unison. The news had spread like a tidal wave sweeping the school and opening students' mouths whose gossip ran like opened taps.

"I'm fine now," Sunny replied with a weak smile.

"Sunny, who is it?" Satsuki asked, poking her head out of the living room.

"It's Madoka and Yuta."

"Well, don't leave them standing. Please enter."

"Ojamashimasu."

"Ojamashimasu" [sorry, to bother, an expression used when entering someone's house]

"We were about to eat. Do you guys want to eat with us?" Sunny asked.

"No."

"Yes."

Madoka glared at Yuta, who shrugged, and so the friends sat down to eat.

They never hanged out in each other's houses; Madoka's uneasiness made her seem shy, whereas Yuta was like a fish in the sea.

No one dared speak about the events. They ate and laughed at the comic duo Madoka and Yuta formed with their usual teasing.

"So, you are in Sunny's class?"

"Iie [No], we didn't have luck on our side this year," answered Madoka.

"Oh, you are pretty like a wildflower."

Madoka blushed at the remark; no one ever said such things about her appearance.

"Wild is the only thing one can associate with her," Yuta replied as he picked up another tempura with chopsticks.

Madoka pursed her lips while she stepped on his foot under the table, making the boy's ears throb as they became as pink as fresh tuna.

Satsuki giggled, placing her hand in front of her mouth.

From her experienced eyes, the chemistry between the two teens was palpable; even then, the older woman felt confident enough to bet on an eventual romance between the Tom and Jerry duo.

○○○

They finished eating, and Madoka helped to wash the dishes while Yuta and Sunny wiped. The kitchen and living room were clean in no time, and the trio settled to talk while Satsuki went to rest in her study.