Blame it on me chapter 12

I wanted to give a trigger warning for mentions of plans of suicide, just to be sure. It's only hinted but it is what it is. Y'all have been warned.

Shouta was grading assignments at the kitchen counter, as Hizashi set the table for breakfast for the kids while sipping his coffee. They barely said a word to each other, both of them were exhausted and safe to say lethargic because of yesterday's events. They weren't ready to talk about it. At least Shouta knew he wasn't, and he could only assume Katsuki wasn't either.

Hitoshi stumbled down the stairs rubbing his eyes. He greeted them with a silent wave then he walked to Hizashi to give him a hug, getting his messy hair tangled even more by a gentle pet. He walked to Shouta and embraced him as well before spoke up:

"Katsuki said he's not coming to school 'cause he's going back to the orphanage."

Hizashi choked on his coffee as Shouta looked away from the papers to face his son and exclaimed: "He what?"

"Eat your breakfast, baby." Hizashi said as both him and Shouta took their way up the stairs.

Shouta was the first to walk into Katsuki's room, turning to the corner next to the wardrobe immediately, where he predicted the blond was sitting with his fully packed bag in his embrace, facing the wall. Hizashi followed behind him silently, and his shoulders sank as he glanced at the kid. Shouta crouched down next to the boy and started softly:

"We didn't say you don't have to go to school today because we had the intention to kick you out, Katsuki."

Hizashi walked closer and kneeled behind the child, then placed a hand onto his back. "We just thought you could use a break after tomorrow." Hizashi added with a sad smile, but Katsuki didn't tear his gaze from the wall. "We told you yesterday that we will not send you back to the orphanage."

"I wanna go back." Katsuki croaked, not lifting his head to allow them to see his face completely. His forehead was pressed against the wall and Aizawa could determine the utter lethargy on his face from the side.

"Come on, kiddo," Hizashi tried brightly, but for Shouta it was obvious his husband was nervous. "Don't be like that. I prepared breakfast and lunch for you." He proceeded and petted the kid's back for a split second. "Shou and I are leaving for work soon, come downstairs while we're at home, please?"

"Will you take me back then?" Katsuki asked, his tone lacking any kind of emotion. The volume was barely above a whisper.

Hizashi turned to Shouta with teary eyes, silently asking for help.

"Why don't you finish your breakfast with Hitoshi? I'll be down in a minute." Shouta told his husband softly. Hizashi glanced at Katsuki once again with a pained expression before turning away and left the room wordlessly. Shouta studied the unmoving kid for a few moments before starting:

"You have the right to believe what you want to, but we will not change our minds about adopting you. I understand that you're sad and that's totally okay. I'm sorry about how yesterday turned out, I shouldn't have upset you the way I did." He paused for a moment, hoping for a reaction, but Katsuki barely even blinked. "Are you going to be alright here alone while we're out?"