13 || first session

alexa, play stay numb and carry on by madison beer

DAY 13

      Amelia rested her notepad on her crossed knees.

       She waited patiently until James was in a comfortable seated position as she perched in a white chair adjacent to the couch. He looked particularly nervous to start his first therapy session, his fingers fidgeted with the plates on his metal arm as his knee bounced up and down. This was completely out of his comfort zone, but Amelia felt thankful that he was deciding to overcome his worries to talk more in depth with her.

        "Are you ready to begin?" she asked coolly, her voice making his anxious eyes flicker up to meet hers.

        "No, but let's get this over with."

        Bucky wanted more than anything to disappear into thin air the longer he sat across from Amelia. As much as he hated the thought of going into detail about his history, he couldn't bring himself to go back on his word and flee to his room. The adrenaline pulsed through his veins as he cleared his throat lowly.

        "You don't have to go into detail about any of the questions I ask you unless you are comfortable doing so," Amelia explained in a clear tone, keeping her eyes soft to make him feel more at ease.

        He nodded once.

        "Have you ever been to therapy before?"

        "No," he responded swiftly.

        Amelia bobbed her head understandingly as she jotted some notes down on the paper in front of her. "The sessions are not usually long, I like to keep them short and concise," she explained, pushing a strand of hair back behind her ear. "For the first session, it'll mostly be questions for me to understand you a bit better."

       James responded with "mhmm."

        "Do you have any recollection from your childhood, James?"

        Bucky sucked in a deep breath as he readjusted himself on the couch cushion. The memories of his childhood came in small flashes - faces, conversations. The older the memory was, the harder it seemed to retain any detail of it.

       "Bits and pieces," he answered after a few moments. "I remember being the oldest sibling, but I can only put together one face when I think of my siblings. A girl."