bonus chapter - the wedding

alexa, play turning page by sydney rose

The Wedding

        "You look like you're going to pass out, Rose."

        Steve raised a troubled eyebrow as he peeked over at Amelia, who was observing herself closely in the tall, antique mirror that perched on the wall of the bridal suite. She was undoubtedly second guessing the way she looked, however, his breath had stopped to a dead halt inside of his throat the moment he saw her dress. The sheer, lace fabric hugged her body tightly from her shoulders down to her feet - the white color complimenting her tanned skin and dark waves that were pulled back into an braided, loose bun. 

        James Buchanan Barnes was a lucky man.

        "That's comforting," she chided him gently, unable to hide the shakiness to her voice as she smoothed her dress out for the hundredth time.

        She was thoroughly grateful that Steve agreed to partake in the part of Best Man, for her and James. It was a much needed distraction, watching him bounce from room to room as he attempted to do the best he could for them both. Not only was he making sure their big day was utterly perfect, but he was even walking Amelia down the aisle as well. A feat that was undeniably nerve-racking for her, even more so for Rogers. 

        "Hey," he said soothingly, stepping forwards to place his hands on her shoulders as he peeked at her reflection in the mirror. "Everything is perfect, the dress is perfect, you look perfect. Take a deep breath."

        "How close is James to cold feet?" she asked coolly.

        Steve cocked his head sideways, throwing her that look as he squeezed her shoulders. "His feet are the farthest thing from cold. I'd say they might even be on fire with how much he's pacing around, he's anxious to see you." 

        His words acted as a calming wave washing over her heart and her chest, soothing her anxiety and bundle of nerves almost immediately. James was excited to see her, walking down the very long aisle towards him in her custom-made wedding dress, towards the man she loved with every ounce of soul inside of her body. This was the end goal - just to make it down there without tripping or stumbling into the arms of her super soldier. 

        The song Amelia had picked out to walk down the aisle to began to hum through her ears, signaling that it was finally time.

        "Okay, Rose, it's show time."

        She nodded once, her chest heaving shakily as she inhaled a nervous breath. Although she had never had trouble walking in heels before, somehow her ankles felt unsteady in the ones she wore now. Her nerves had swarmed into the pit of her stomach, flopping and jolting around with every moment she made, sending trails of goosebumps across every inch of her body.