Prologue: The Beginning

Kamala's POV

My story and life to where I got myself, and how far I went to sacrifice everything and giving into new found pleasure, joy, pain, sadness and guilt has drawn me to where I am today. From being the daughter of the scientist who secretly began an affair with a celebrity lawyer to finally being the Vice President of the United States. My name is Kamala Devi Harris, and this is my story.

April 17th, 2005

I graduated from Howard University in 1990, went to law school and got a degree and now I'm a district attorney of California

I graduated from Howard University in 1990, went to law school and got a degree and now I'm a district attorney of California. Life has became bumpy along the way, from being in relationships that's always ends with breakups to falling out with certain people I carrd about. I decided to put myself first and focused what's right for me. I'm a single black female who doesn't have a child, and probably may one day might considered having one. Before I can focus on love life, I had to focus on doing one thing: getting to work.

It my days of being able to do stuff that I like to do, versus trying to accomplished. My sister Maya met her high school sweetheart and had a daughter with him while she was a college student herself. Mom has always told us to find someone who will make us laugh and smile but so far... I was unlucky at first, then I gave up trying to find love. I became a powerful woman who is inexperienced with sexual nature, and a virgin. Everytime I tried having sex, I just push men away and when that happens, I ended up with a broken heart, but who can blame them... It was my fault in the first place.

My life has been complicated in ways no one imagine, that is until I started dating again, this time with someone who knows me and supports the things I'm doing, understands when I'm not ready or listens to me, his name is Cory Booker. We began dating for 6 months and it felt like I finally found someone who won't walk away from me, or hurt me in ways that I can't even imagine
He's kind, smart and creative with his ways of fast tracking politics and I felt happy the moment then on.  Recently my sister Maya was interviewing many people who's name and faces are known on TV. She spoke with celebrities like LL Cool J, RuPaul, TLC to talk show hosts like Larry King, Steve Harvey, and many more. She's been doing great while I was tackling crime, my major goal was to fight justice in Sex Trafficking, getting women off streets and saving children from broken homes. I've been doing that until today as I remembered... Everything changed...

"Hey Kamala." Kevin said walking in with the paper forms for me to fill out as I took a sip of my morning joe' and putting my newspaper aside.

"We need to talk, it's about the case briefings your doing and this is very urgent." He shrugged.

"Okay, go on and tell me." I insisted as he sat down by my desk. The expression on his face was clearly showing nervousness.

"We received a call from your mom, it's about Maya..." He said as I jumped from my seat, worried as I checked my phone I had 13 missing calls from mom,  and 10 unread text messages as I grew worried, I couldn't believe I missed those calls realizing what if it was emergency!

"What happened Kevin, where's my sister Maya!?" I panicked as I ran to get my jacket and purse ready.

"She's in a hospital and has a server flu like symptoms. Your mom said she tried to reach you but you wasn't answering your phone." He gave me a paper. I looked at the paper, it's a permission temporary replacement form that has Maya's Name listed in bold. It even detailed what happened to my sister, she fainted on set while broadcasting and was sweating up a storm.

"What the hell, why are you giving this to me for?" I furrowed my eyebrows angrily at Kevin.

"Our boss was notified by the news and the News station along with the mayor of Oakland wanted you to temporary suspend what your doing to take your sister's place till she feels better again. This is just until she is well and out of the hospital, you'll get paid directly free of charge and we'll mark you on time." He said sweating as I gritted my teeth.

"And just who's gonna take my place while I'm gone!?" I growled as Kevin flinched looking pale.

"We'll have Miranda fill in for you, she's got your work covered so please understand, your family needs you right now." He shrugged as I sighed. Great, now I have to do everything that my sister was supposed to do and I really don't feel like doing it either but she's not feeling so well.

"Okay, tell Matthew I said thanks for the offer." I wrote my name down on the slip giving it back to Kevin as I took my leave. I quickly walked out of the work station office and headed downstairs to the lobby finally making my way to the parking garage getting inside my car.

I began texting my mom, informing her that I'm on my way to the hospital now, as I pulled out of the garage and drove off into the street. I tried going faster to get there but I was stuck in the traffic.

"Fucking hell!" I cursed in under breath, feeling a bit irritated by all that's happened. I took a deep breathe as I made my way into the express way going directly into the distric center.

"Come on already, dammit!" I grudged as I finally speeded up the knotch driving directly downtown of Oakland. By the time I got here, I pulled up to the hospital where my sister is at, as I went to the parking lot to park my car to get out.

 By the time I got here, I pulled up to the hospital where my sister is at, as I went to the parking lot to park my car to get out

I rushed inside the hospital as I went to the front desk, hoping I'm not too late.

"Hello, my name is Kamala Harris. My sister Maya Harris was transferred here to the hospital after collapsing on the floor." I said as the clerk began searching my sister's name on the screen.

"She arrived here 4 hrs ago to the 5th floor out patient center, take the elevator and go up. Your families are also here too." She said as I ran up to the elevator, and headed up to the 5th floor. Once I got out of the elevator, Meena and the others came along.

"Auntie, there you are." She said to me as we hugged.

"Where's your mother?" I questioned as Meena took my hand and walked into the room, mom was sitting down on the chair as Maya was on oxygen. Her eyes are shut tight and I look like she had been in cardiac arrest.

"Sister..." I began tearing up seeing her asleep and remained still. I went over to my mom and comfort her.

To be continued to Chapter 1...