Chapter 11: The Harris Family

Kamala's POV

I was unsure on how my mom would react once Doug meets her in person, on top of it I didn't call and let them know I was coming by to visit, so I'll be surprising them with Doug. It feels good to be home back in Oakland where I was born and raised, besides me and Doug are staying for few days while he's been tasked with criminal case intervention work so it's easy for me to have fun with my mom and sister. I hope Maya is recovering from her illness soon.

"Before we visit my mom, I want you to know that she's very overprotective and half of the time will ask random questions to people I came in contact with." I said nervously as he smiled slightly.

"Don't worry, I bet your mom is the sweetest person I'll be able to get along with." He said as we got back into to the car.

I also wanted to see Cory, and check up on him to see how he's doing. Hopefully he didn't forget about me, but also I wanted to tell him face to face about the breakup. The thing is I don't know how to approach him, and half of the time I'm scared that he might hate me. I still have feelings for him but now my heart belongs to Doug, at first when we met... He got that sexual nature hidden within him, and he was sexually frustrated throughout. But now, he's got that genuine heart plus he's really a down to earth type of guy once you get to know him, I'm guessing that's why I fallen in love with him all of the sudden.

"Still nervous?" He asked as he noticed how sweaty my palms are. I tried to brush it off but it was no use.

"Don't worry, everything is gonna be fine." He kissed my forehead as I blushed hard, reassuring me that everything is fine. Every time I'm around him, it feels like safer beside him now, his warm embrace engulfs me deeper for need of protection. What is this feeling again... Something I never felt before.

We both left the hotel and began taking a ride directly downtown district of Oakland to see my family. It's not that far from the hotel and plus I stayed close to my temporary former job too so it's easy for me to get to where I have to go or people to see. I miss my family already, and yet I feel so homesick all of the sudden. My childhood memories are very reminiscing, looking back to when I grew up verses rising as a district attorney.

"Hey, um... I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind." Doug said trying to make conversation.

"Sure." I nodded.

"How about I take you and your family out for dinner my treat and a token of appreciation to you." Doug suggested as I looked shocked. He really didn't have to do that, he already invited me into his home, paid for my hotel room and made me feel like I'm at home too so this is really unexpected of him to do this for me.

Somehow I'm thankful for meeting him all of the sudden.

"Oh Doug, you really don't have to do all of that." I tried to convince him not to but he insisted and won't changed his mind either, I never seen Doug this genuine before.

"Don't worry it's on me, I'm going to treat you and your family out for dinner. Plus, I want you to feel as if it's special to you." He said as I blushed a little as my cheeks fluttered red.

"I also have something special for you tomorrow. No work or anything, just something fun, we're gonna hangout alone all day tomorrow and you get to pick where you wanted to go."

Is he taking me on a date?

"Are you taking me on a date?" I questioned as Doug cleared his throat.

"Well um... What I meant was..." He struggled to say it even though he's clearly fluttering red. Not gonna lie he looks cute when he blushes a little.