Chapter 3.1

" You, girl , come here ! " Called the matron's voice as Ariel warily entered the tattered meeting room of the orphanage.

In the room, The matron was sitting with a tall woman. She looked pretty old but had a straight back. She was wearing emerald green robes that reached the floor and a long , pointy hat .She was smiling at Ariel - The kindest smile Ariel had ever seen anyone give her in ages . The woman then turned to the matron and spoke calmly.

" Miss, I expect better treatment of Miss Black by you " She told the Matron. The woman had a thick , Scottish accent and her voice dripped smoothly .

" Now can you please be as kind to leave? " She told the Matron. The Matron let out a groan and stood up, she got out kid the room but not before she snarled lowly at Ariel , waring her to be at her best behavior with visitors . 

" Uh , Hello , Miss - ? " Ariel asked uncertainly.

" McGonagall. I am Professor Minerva McGonagall. You are doing good I hope, Ariel?" The woman named McGonagall asked Ariel, bending a bit to reach Ariel's height.

" Er-Yeah .Nice to meet you, I guess? " Ariel said awkwardly. After all - it is not daily that a random , weird woman appears out of nowhere and wants to talk to a you , at an orphanage at the edge of the forest.

" I am here to announce that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. " McGonagall said. Ariel stood their, stunned. A thousand thoughts were running through her mind. Magic was real. What her mother said was true. She will now be with people of her kind.

" You mean to say that magic is real. Like my m-mum said? " The little girl spluttered out.

" Yes it is Ariel. The term starts on September 1. Tomorrow I will arrive with a few more students to get your supplies. Here is your letter " McGonagall said smiling, as she pulled out a khaki letter from a pocket in her robes.

Ariel shakily took the letter, opened it and read it.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Black ,
We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.
Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress

Another letter was attached to the previous one. Ariel opened it too and she read it while McGonagall waited patiently for the girl's response.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Draughts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT
1 wand 1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2) 

 1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

Ariel's hand trembled as she read everything. She looked up at the woman and shook her head.

" P-professor, I don't have money to buy all this " Ariel said, looking down at her bare feet.

McGonagall inhaled shakily, feeling pity for the young girl. She pulled out a pouch of coins from her robes and handed it to Ariel.

" Here. Your father gave this money, for you " She said.

Ariel looked at the Professor and blinked a few times.

" My father, he is alive? " Ariel asked, basically spatting out the word 'father ' .

" He is alive and -" McGonagall started but Ariel interrupted her.

" Alive and healthy while my mum is dead. I know. I also do know where he stands and what he did" Ariel said, fire was burning in her eyes.

Her father cheated on her mother. He left her. Her mum died right after he left. He didn't even try approaching her. Now all of a sudden he sends money for her to go to school. Pathetic. So pathetic. These were the exact thoughts going on in little Ariel's mind.

" I am sorry Professor. But I won't be attending Hogwarts " Ariel exclaimed boldly, after a long pause.

McGonagall looked at the girl, bewildered .

Ariel explained further -" Professor , I do not want anything to do with my Father. I would rather not attend school than to buy my supplies using his money. I have survived so far without him and I will keep surviving. I do not need a so called 'father' like him "

Ariel pushed the pouch of coins back towards McGonagall. While McGonagall could only stare at the girl. She really had gotten the Black's pride and the Fawley's wit and anger. McGonagall sighed deeply and took the pouch back, knowing that the girl would not take it. She then pulled out another pouch and offered it to Ariel.

" I knew that you wouldn't take your father's money. So, Hogwarts offers you support money , you only need to buy your robes and wand, the other things Hogwarts will provide you itself . Remember, for Hogwarts the education of Children comes first. I am impressed by you Miss Black "

" T-Thank you, professor. Thank you so much. " Ariel said, she was unable to stop the huge smile that appeared on her face.

" I need to ask you, what name would you like to go by, officially.?" McGonagall asked the girl.

" Ariel Black " The girl replied boldly.

McGonagall raised an eyebrow at her. She had expected Ariel to cut all ties with her father, but not leaving his name was a big move, and therefore is left her confused.

 " Why the particular last name, may I ask? " 

Ariel smiled calmly, as if it was an obvious thing that she chose 'Black' as her last name .

" It's not daily you get to show someone that a name may be your identification but not your identity." Ariel said, still smiling.

McGonagall was thoroughly impressed by the girl. She was so much like her father but also so much like her mother. McGonagall already knew that this girl will reach great heights.

McGonagall smiled as she stood up to leave. She again told the girl that she will pick her up tomorrow at nine so that they can get her supplies.

McGonagall reached the small gate of the orphanage as Ariel politely followed her to see her off. As McGonagall stepped out of the gate, she looked over her shoulder and said-

" Your mother will be proud of you, Ariel "

Ariel smiled at McGonagall's statement as she saw the woman walk away.

McGonagall's words were true, her mother was proud of her.

_________

Edited on- 5/03/2022