Arankita ⸝⸝ 12 AM calls

Kita stayed at his desk, light wood yet ever so darkened by the lack of lighting in his room, all except a small lamp to the left of his papers and pens. Red, blue, black pens, hot pink and neon green highlighters, follow by mechanical pencils scattered away and around his pages. His notebook had his neat writing printed along, his notes stood neat as he studied them over. He was taking no exception to failure on this one test that was going to happen tomorrow. Kita was glad he got all he could as of participation, and now here came the actual work. His windows shut tightly, and there he sat in darkness, so quiet, so calming, his eyes always drifted away to sleep from the heaviness his eyes held. He had never felt to stressed to where he'd find himself studying up and until 12 AM.
The volleyball captain felt his head about to lay away on the light oak, before the small buzzing from his phone caught his attention. His vision fixated onto his phone, sleepy eyes stared away, blinking to read the contact name. 'Aran' he read on the contact name, for a second he was confused, mind flickering - Aran usually goes to bed at around 9-10 PM, why is he calling me now? His curiosity kicked in as he grabbed for his phone, accepting the call in what felt like immediately. "Hey- hello Aran." the tiredness seeped into his ability to talk.
Aran on the other hand blinked, he wasn't expecting a pick up - he would've felt so guilty if he woke up Kita, yet at the moment he craved to hear his captain's voice. "Hey Kita,"
"I'm surprised you haven't slept by now, why are you up?" Kita mumbled before he let out a small yawn. Aran shook his head, "Just, thoughts, I guess." Aran shrugged. "It's just - incredibly quiet right now, so I decided to call you, or something along those lines,," Aran sputtered, his face flushing up softly at the sound of Kita'a voice.
Kita smiled softly, trying to hide his blush as if his mother was watching him from his door way. "Ah, that's,, sweet of you, aha." Kita sputtered back, "Why aren't you sleeping though? You're usually sleeping by now." Aran asked, a tone full of concern. Kita yawned softly into his hand, he stretched his hand out after keeping it in a pen holding position for a while. Hearing the satisfying cracks of his knuckles, "I was...studying. Nothing more, just - stressed for tests." Kita then got up, closing his notebook and setting his pens and pencils aside. Hearing the soft rolls of the pens against his desk let another ray of pure satisfaction race through him, it was so quiet, all except for Aran's voice.
"Which subject, I'm guessing it's a math test..?" Aran said, his voice quite tired as well as eager at the same time, he couldn't comprehend to know he was calling Kita at a time where Kita would obviously be fast asleep in bed. "Mhm, mathematics," Kita paused for another soft yawn, Kita found Aran's voice so oddly tiring at this hour. Yet not in a boring way of course, in a way ever so smooth and soothing ; calming. His voice almost erased all that stress he was feeling of which felt like seconds ago. "I already know you're going to ace it, Kita, you're smart afterall." Kita smiled, the once anxiety buried in his heart replaced with a sweetly captivating feeling, one that made his heart flutter, and for someone who was usually apathetic - it was a strange rush of placidness.
"You, think I'm, smart?" Kita asked, his pitch turning a bit higher, then he heard Aran's ever so tired voice reply back. "Who doesn't, think you're smart? You're a top student, and you manage a volleyball team, as well..as grades.." Aran shifted underneath his covers, so that instead of looking away at an empty space beside him, wishing Kita were there, he stared at the wall. Plain white walls covered in volleyball posters, dates and writing to memorize for his schedule, blinking Aran shifted his attention back to hearing Kita's voice. "I mean, you don't have to be all smart to do that, right? It, takes a lot of patience..and - some other..factors." Kita sighed, staring at the clock, 12:09 AM. Aran shook his head, a soft chuckle escaping his lips, "Stop denying the fact you're smart, it's a fact after all, Kita." Kita only chuckled softly back, scratching his head as another yawn escaped his lips, a small and faint lingering of his voice whisped away in seconds. "You're yawning a lot, you should, go to bed. You're probably not used to staying up over 12." Aran stated, Kita's eyes flickered as he held the phone closer to his ear, "Aha,, but - I'd rather talk to you, Aran,, your voice is very - soothing." Kita admitted, ruffling his own locks whilst sitting on his bed, his eyes weary whilst the rest of him ever so exhausted. "Your voice is very soothing as well ,, Kita - you should go to bed by now,, I'll walk you to school tomorrow - if you want..?" Aran asked, his face reddish tinted.
"Alright I'll - go to bed , but - can we always do nightly calls like this -" Aran felt his heart skip a beat. "I know it's a odd request, very unlike me yet.. your company whether physical or digital, is - enjoyable." Kita mumbled and stumbled, Aran smiled, almost about to shake his head as if Kita were right there near him. "Of course we can Kita, g'night Kita." Aran whispered faintly, yet enough for Kita to hear clearly. Kita gave a tired smile, "Alright, good night Aran!" the captain was vividly and obviously smiling whilst holding onto thin cotton sheets. "I love you.." Aran said faintly, before hanging up - leaving Kita to smile as he rested his head on his cold pillow. Nightly calls sure are soothing.

    More of this underrated ship simply since, it's adorable and the dynamic is very sweet

More of this underrated ship simply since, it's adorable and the dynamic is very sweet. Hope you all enjoyed this chapter, love y'all and have a great day 🤍

1033 words~