Part 6

The days went by, and the Kira investigation became more and more tense, Y/N could see it was heavily affecting L.

He would leave to go to the office every morning, leaving Y/N to search up info online and track the murders. But whenever he got home, he was way less talkative then when he had left earlier.

He would normally sit in the closet, only leaving when he wanted food or the bathroom. Y/N was sure to always make him cakes, they seemed to lighten up his mood, and that was important that she knew L was doing OK.
———————————
Y/N took the piping hot cake out of the oven, L was normally here around this time, so it was good to have a cake handy for when he sat in the closet for hours on end, not speaking or coming out for hours.

But L didn't show up. Not for 2 hours at least. The cake was getting cold, and Y/N was getting worried.

She decided she would go to the department to check on him. She grabbed her coat and car keys, and ran out the door in a hurry.
———————————
When she got there she ran into Matsuda, who was also looking around the office for L.

"Hey, uh, Matsuda?" Y/N asked, running by him. "Have you seen L anywhere? He hasn't showed up in hours."

"We've been looking for him all afternoon!" Matsuda panted, out of breath from running around. "Can you help us find him?"

He handed Y/N keys to Wataris private office, "Here, we haven't checked here yet, but could you? My legs are getting tired!"

Y/N smiled, "Of course, Matsu." she said, giving him a head pat. "Thanks for looking out for him, he's been under a lot of stress recently."
———————————
Y/N unlocked the door to Wataris office, it smelled like cologne old people would use and figs. The desk was flooded with papers, most likely for the investigation, and a broken computer.

“Ryuzaki?” Y/N called, walking around the room, “Ryuzaki, are you in here?”

She heard a soft whimper coming from under the paper-filled desk. She kneeled forward and saw L, sitting in his usual fashion, and crying softly with a crumbled cake in hand.

“Ryuzaki! We were looking everywhere for you! Where were-” Y/N stopped mid-sentence, noticing L shaking and weeping from under the table. “W-what's wrong?”

She climbed under the table, cradling him in her arms, “Please tell me...I will make it better…”

L rested his shiny black hair on Y/Ns shoulder. “You know why they brought me into this investigation, right?”

“Well, I would guess it's because you're extremely smart and capable of figuring out who kira is.”

“They didn't bring me in here because I'm smart, they brought me in because I was smarter than all of them. I'm not a god, you know, there are things I don't know and can’t predict.”

“No one is perfect, Ryuzaki. Don't let yourself or anyone else pressure you into being perfect. We are all human here, we all make mistakes. That's what this case is about, saving the people who have made mistakes that aren't worth dying for. And you are doing so amazing.”

“I just wished people would believe my theories without needing all this useless evidence, if we don't find Kira at this rate, I don't think we ever will.”

“But I believe you, Ryuzaki! I can help you find proof, thats what im here for, you deserve someone by your side.”

L laid down, sniffling, burying his head into Y/Ns baggy sweatshirt. He put his ear next to her chest, hearing her soft breathing and heart beating, the slow rhythm calmed him down.

“You smell nice,” he said finally. “I believe I already mentioned how nice your scent is, but mentioning it again wont hurt, I suppose.”

Y/N held his head, rubbing his cold nose with hers, “Cmon, Ryuzaki, let's go home and get some cake!”

L smiled. He loved Y/N’s cakes, daresay he liked Y/N as well.