Part 14

The next couple of days passed. L stayed around Y/N for the most part, always being sure to bring in fresh plates of food to her bedside. (and always stealing her dessert, of course.)

Y/N refused to let him go back into the office without her, she didn't want anything bad to happen to him while she was in the hospital. So he did most of his investigating from the old, half-broken hospital computer.

At night, L would take Y/N outside to the hospital balcony, making sure they weren't seen at all. Y/N would stare at the stars and find constellations. (she loved astronomy) L found it boring and would bring cake out there to snack on, while Y/N rested her head on his shoulder.
————————————————
"Alright, it's time to go." L said, packing Y/Ns things on the last day at the hospital. "And once again are you SURE that your doing better, we can always-"

L was interrupted by Y/N who gave him a quick kiss. "Ryuzaki, I'm fine, I told you! Come on let's get home, already!"

"Alright, OK, just making sure. You know, you're the only person whom I've never been able to read, it's quite strange, really."

"Well don't waste all of your brainpower on me, detective." she winked, "Kira is still on the loose, and we have to focus our collective energy onto him before anyone else."

L turned away and scratched his head, "Uh yeah, about that..."

"What? What's wrong?"

"I should uh, probably tell you when we go back to the apartment. I can't risk anyone overhearing this, Y/N."

"Alright, I understand."

He flung the bag over his shoulder and walked Y/N out of the hospital room to check out.
————————————————
Y/N set her bags on the hardwood floor of the apartment, "Can you tell me now?"

L looked closely at all of the walls and furniture, "Alright just making sure no one planted and cameras or recorders while we were gone." he looked up, "Alright, were clear."

He sat down on the sofa, holding his legs to his chest. Y/N sat beside him.

L sighed "This isn't easy for me to say Y/N, but I lost. I lost the game."

"W-what game? What's going on?"

"I can't defeat Kira on my own, I just can't people tend to forget that I'm human too."

"You don't have to defeat him on your own! I can help you! That's why I'm here, Ryuzaki!"

"But you don't understand, I can't let you do that. I-I just don't want you to get hurt. That's why I've made a decision."

*silence*

Y/N clenched her fists. "I came onto this case for one reason and one reason only, to avenge the death of Raye Penber, and I'm not going to just give up like that."

"This isn't about catharsis, Y/N! It's about staying alive, and staying alive is what Penber would have wanted for you. You can't keep putting your life on the line for a case, I won't let you. Us alone cant avenge him, but I know some people who can."

*silence*

"... And that's why I have decided to quit the case too."