new year's eve

Violet's outfit

Violet's outfit

The month after the production of High School Musical was a whirlwind.

Despite how awkward Christmas was and just how weird it felt being just my mom and I, Ricky really helped make my Christmas feel a lot less sad than I'd expected it to.

I was still very emotional- what with it being my first Christmas after my brother Adam's passing, and I'd spent longer than I should've crying to 'What They'll Say About Us' by FINNEAS, which wasn't my finest moment, but whatever.

I had Ricky, and he always knew how to calm me down and make me feel like myself again after moments like that.

For Christmas, he'd written me a song. All the words and feelings that we had ever felt for one another were in that song, and I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

For my gift for him, I found a picture of us from a Christmas party when we were twelve years old, and I'd taken it and put it in a frame that I painted myself.

I'd felt kinda lame giving that to him compared to the gift that he'd gotten me, but I'd noticed that he'd had the picture on his bedside table when I'd gone over to his house that week to hang out, and even though it was stupid, I just felt so damn happy to know that he liked it that much.

On New Year's Eve, I'd gotten dressed in an outfit that I'd picked because it made me feel like I was in a 90s teen movie, and I'd actually taken the time to do my makeup.

After doing all that while also blasting the Original Broadway Cast album of RENT at full blast just because, I was ready to go and pick up Ricky, from Big Red's house.

As soon as I pulled up to Big Red's house, Ricky came outside and got in my car, holding his backpack and a whole ass garment bag.

"What's in there?" I asked, pointing to the bag.

"Oh...uhhh. I borrowed one of my dad's suit jackets. And I was gonna put it on for the party", Ricky answered.

I grinned, "I love that!"

"Hey, can I turn on some music?" Ricky asked, grabbing my phone from the center console, where it was hooked up to the aux.

"Yeah, of course!" I said absent-mindedly as I began to drive.

"Vi...why do you have 'Whataya Want From Me' by Adam Lambert on repeat?" Ricky asked, a smile on his face.

"Because I was having a sing along with myself. Don't ask", I said.

"I totally get that. Also, can I practice this song for you? I did it for Red and he liked it , but I just want to know what you think?" Ricky asked.

"Of course. Also, is Red coming to the party? I could've given him a ride if he wanted", I said.

"I think he's gonna come later. He had to take a last minute shift at the pizza shop", Ricky said.