tech week

Violet's Outfit

Violet's Outfit

The El Rey theatre was a total dump, but it was everything I wanted and more. You see, after the East High auditorium was completely trashed in a fire, we had to move our production ten minutes away to the El Rey. It was this completely old-fashioned theater that gave me total Old Hollywood vibes. Like it had seen way more talent than a bunch of teenagers singing Disney Channel songs.

As Miss Jen called for a five minute break, and everyone else was out in the lobby just hanging out, Ashlynn and I sat in the back of the theater.

"Do you think that this whole thing is gonna work out?", I asked.

"Hopefully. I've missed two months worth of baking club meetings for this", Ashlynn replied.

"That sounds like a fun club. All I've missed these months were sitting alone in my room and watching TLC reality shows", I said.

"You don't do theatre outside of school? I could've sworn you were into the whole community theatre scene", Ashlynn said.

"Nope, not anymore. I quit last spring. I wish I stuck with it though", I said.

"Yeah same. I used to be really into it. I played Martha Dunstock in that awful, highly illegal junior production they did of Heathers in 8th grade", she said.

"No way! I played Heather Duke in that production. Wasn't it just awful?", I said.

"It was so bad. Nini played Heather McNamara, and EJ played J.D. it was probably the worst production I've ever been in. But it was super fun", she said.

"It was really fun. Although I often wonder what possessed them to do a Heather Jr.", I said.

"Exactly!", Ashlynn exclaimed.

"Heather Chandler used to be my dream theatre role, but I've totally moved on since then", I said.

"Wait, what's your dream theatre role now?", Ashlynn asked.

"Oh gosh, that's difficult. I have like a top three. Lydia in Beetlejuice, Wendla in Spring Awakening, and Kathy in The Last Five Years. What about you?", I replied.

"I have two, and they're completely different. Regina George in Mean Girls and Christine in Phantom", she said.

"I could honestly see you doing great in either role. I love knowing what people's dream roles are, I just think it tells a lot about a person", I said.

"Yeah same. What's Ricky's?", Ashlynn asked.

"Well, he's not really a theater person, but when I asked him he said that he "wouldn't mind" being Jack Kelly in Newsies, which proves that he really did like Newsies all of the times I forced him to watch it", I said.