first day of senior year

Violet's PJs

It was the night before my first day of senior year, and I had just gotten into bed, prepared to scroll through my phone in hopes of tiring myself out and falling asleep at a decent hour

I'd just gotten comfortable and had begun a mindless BuzzFeed quiz about which Boy Meets World character I'd be when I heard a knock at my window.

I quickly got out of bed and walked over to the window to see Ricky standing on the small faux balcony outside my room.

I opened the window and let him in.

"You do know that the balcony is fake, right? What if you'd fallen through?" I laughed.

"I didn't think that far ahead," Ricky shrugged.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked, as we both perched on the edge of my bed.

"I couldn't wait until tomorrow to see you," Ricky said, smiling at me.

I grinned, "I'm glad you're here, because honestly, I couldn't wait either."

"Can you believe tomorrow's the first day of senior year?" Ricky asked.

"No. I still feel like a freshman. It's surreal, honestly," I replied.

Ricky nodded, "I know. It's weird. Everything's changing so quickly."

"Speaking of changes. Ricky, I'm really glad we're back together," I confessed softly, "but with college so close..."

The mood shifted, and Ricky's gaze sharpened, "Violet, are you saying...?"

My voice trembled as I continued, "I think... it might be better for us to break up at the end of the year. Before we head off to college."

The words hung in the air, the weight of their implications palpable. Ricky's brow furrowed, a mix of understanding and reluctance crossing his features.

"Yeah, I get it," he finally sighed, his voice heavy with the weight of my words. "I don't like it, but I get it."

We locked eyes, and  silent agreement passed between us. Our days were numbered, but I could tell that Ricky felt the same way that I did, that we'd make every second count.

We talked for a while before he kissed me goodnight and left out my window.

Violet's Outfit