photo flashbacks

Violet's Outfit

Violet's Outfit

I was at Ashlyn's house the morning of opening night, and we were sitting in her kitchen, making gifts for the cast.

Since she was in baking club, she had made a shit ton of desserts for each cast member. I, on the other hand, had made everyone custom little photo collages of us at rehearsals and stuff. For Ricky, I had made him a gigantic photo album/scrapbook thing with pictures of us together throughout the years.

"Can I steal a cookie?", I asked Ashlyn, as she pulled another batch of double chocolate chip cookies out of the oven.

"Yeah, I guess. I think I made too much stuff anyway", she replied.

"You think? The whole kitchen is covered with ingredients and cooling racks and cookie tins. All my gifts smell like a bakery", I said.

"That's not a bad thing. I'd be pretty happy if I got a cookie-scented collage", she replied.

"Well, don't worry. You are going to get a cookie scented collage", I said.

"Hey, who's the big book of stuff for?", she asked.

"Oh, it's for Ricky. Now that we're dating, I kind of wanted to get him something a little bit more special. It has pictures of us from when we met in kindergarten until today", I said.

"Oh my gosh! I'd love to look at that. Just let me get this batch of cranberry white chocolate cookies out of the oven, then Im definitely gonna sit down and look through it", she said.

About twenty minutes later, once the cookies were out of the oven and I had "test-tasted" a few different kinds, the kitchen was all cleaned up and every cast and crew member had a tin of cookies waiting for them, Ashlyn sat down next to me at the table and we began to look through the album.

I opened the book, and the first page had a dedication and a letter to Ricky, so I skipped past that to the picture of us from my sixth birthday in kindergarten.

In the picture, I was dressed as Belle from Beauty and The Beast, and the two of us were sitting on the steps of a bouncy house. It wasn't a good picture-both of us were crying in it. That day, he had gotten one of his front teeth knocked out in the bouncy house, so he was crying, and I was crying because I had gotten dirt on my dress.
"Why does Ricky look the exact same as he does now?", Ashlyn asked.

"Honestly yeah. Except he has more teeth now. And he's taller", I said.

"You two were so cute together, even back then. Like, even though you're both crying, his arm is around you. That's just so adorable", she said.

"He was always super protective of me, even back then. I think it's cause I was the shortest in the class, and I had these gigantic glasses, and he was the tallest in the class, so I guess he felt like he needed to protect me from the other people in the class", I said.