first date

Violet's Outfit

Violet's Outfit

"So, you're taking me on a date after this?", I asked Ricky jokingly.

It was the Friday of tech week; and last night over FaceTime Ricky had joked that he was going to "spoil me" on our first date, as it was my first date ever.

After our kiss and our thing with "You Matter To Me", Ricky had asked me to be his girlfriend in the parking lot later that night as we were leaving the theatre.

I, of course, had said yes. Seventh grade Violet was screaming inside me the whole time. It was a weird time for all of that to happen, but it's what I wanted and I felt happier than I had in awhile because of it.

"Yeah, I was thinking we could go to that karaoke/ bowling place that you like", he said.

"Aww! Really? I'm so excited. That's so sweet!", I said

"I hope you like it, I wanted it to be as special as possible", Ricky said.

"No, it's perfect!", I said.

After that, I went through the rest of the rehearsal on a high. I'd never had anyone care for me as much as Ricky did.

As soon as practice was over, Ricky and I rushed to my car so that we could get to the restaurant in time for our reservation.

Once we got there, we were seated right in front of the stage, which was awesome.

The place was full of people as it was a Friday night, but they didn't matter to me. The only person who mattered was right in front of me.

Once the waitress came around, we both ordered milkshakes and we got a basket of cheese fries to share. Total romantic foods, of course.

"Are you going to sing tonight?", I asked Ricky.

"I'll sing if you sing", he replied.

"I don't wanna embarrass myself in front of all these people", I said.

"C'mon, the point of this place is to embarrass yourself", he said, gesturing to the middle-aged couple on the stage doing a duet of "Like A Prayer" by Madonna.

"I guess you're right. I wonder if they have any Billie Eilish", I said.

"I'm sure they do. One time, Big Red and I came here and he got them to play the Wizards of Waverly Place theme song for him", Ricky replied.

"Damn. I wish I were here for that", I said.

"Yeah, it was pretty iconic", he replied.

Our conversation was interrupted when the waitress came with our food.

We are in comfortable silence, and once we were done, it was time to sing.

"I have an idea", Ricky said.

"If you say "Strip Karaoke", I'll slap you", I said.

"Ew no. How about we pick the most ironic, weird songs for one another to sing", he said.

"I love that! I get to pick for you first", I said, rushing over to the station where you pick songs.

I walked back smiling triumphantly. This was gonna be great.

"What'd you pick for me?", Ricky asked suspiciously.

"You'll see", I said.

And a few minutes later, the announcer dude said, "Singing 'Bye Bye Bye' by *NSYNC, here's Ricky Bowen!"

Ricky walked up to the stage, pointed at me and then mouthed "You're so on".

Then he gave the most awkward performance of Bye Bye Bye ever known to man. It was hilarious. He kept flubbing the words and losing his place. He sounded really good, but he had the most uncomfortable look on his face the whole time.

Once he was done, instead of coming back to the table, he went up and picked a song for me.

"This next one is gonna be great", he said, sitting next to me.

And a few minutes later, the announcer said, "Singing 'Faith' by George Michael, here's Violet Schultz".

Damn he was good. I did love George Michael, but this song would be kinda embarrassing to sing in front of a full room of people.

After that, I knew exactly what I was gonna do for Ricky. I requested the song for him then say back down, and was completely silent until they announced it.

"Singing 'What's New Pussycat', here's Ricky Bowen".

"You didn't", Ricky said.

"I did", I replied.

This song was kind of an inside joke between us. We both love John Mulaney, and his bit about playing "What's New Pussycat" over and over again in a diner was our favorite thing ever. We always referenced it whenever we could, even going as far as to change one another's ringtones to "What's New Pussycat".

Needless to say, both of us were kind of in tears by the end of the song.

After that, we just sat back and watched other people sing.

We finished our night by dueting to "Nice To Meet Ya" by Niall Horan, because we both loved the song and really wanted to scream along to it in front of a whole room of people.

It felt so nice to have a boyfriend. At first, when he brought up becoming boyfriend and girlfriend, I was kinda anxious that it would change things between us, but it didn't. It felt perfect. I was in love with Ricky Bowen, and this time I knew he felt the same way.

Authors Note: hi! This chapter kinda sucks. I'm very busy rn, as we are trying to see a lot of our family before the new year and before they go out of town, so this was written in the car! This is a filler, but I just wanted to give you guys a cute little chapter of Violet and Rocky being boyfriend and girlfriend! I am currently revamping another one of my fics, which is a Alex x OC fic for Netflix's One Day At A Time. If you guys could check that out, it'd be great! Also, huge thanks for 30K! The next chapter should be up in the next bc couple of days! I'm hoping to do another bf/gf fic before we get to episode nine!

Lots of love ❤️, Beth