Chapter 18 - Essex

Xavier's POV

Xavier's POV

I cannot take my eyes off the angel resting in my arms. I had no idea she was suffering from panic attacks. Trust me seeing her like this made me want to kill Atlas. She looked helpless, trying to calm herself down while I was busy shouting at Atlas. The frightened glim in her eyes, when she told me to hold her, still lingers on my mind.

It is around two a.m. as Madalyne and I lay on the bed with her on my chest and my arms wrapped around her petite figure. Her light breaths ring in my ears, giving me a soothing sensation. I don't need sleep to rest; her warmth is enough. There are dark circles under her long eyelashes.

I stroke her delicate face, making her shiver a little. I realize that we are spending so much time together yet we don't know almost anything about each other. Her personality traits and talents are astonishing.

'Her parents must be very proud of her, unlike mine'

"P-Please mom-no- don't do th-this....." Faint sniffles pull me out of my thoughts. I notice Madalyne clenching my shirt as tears flow from her closed eyes. I move the hair strand from her face and wrap my arms more tightly.

"I-I am- so-sorry m-mom, pl-please," Madalyne whimpers. Must be a bad dream. I shake her gently, waking her up. A loud scream echoes through the tranquil room.

"MOM!" Madalyne jolts up, sitting in the bed then drags herself until she hits her back on the head of the bed. Tears roll down her face nonstop as she stares at the wall ahead of her. She tangles her fingers into her hair, gripping the roots. Her cries make my heart shatter into pieces.

"Madalyne, it's ok, it was just a dream," I try to touch her face so carefully as if they would break into pieces if I go any harder. I softly cup her face, making her look into my eyes.

"Madalyne, love, look at me," Her eyes meet mine. They hold so much sorrow and pain; making me want to destroy whoever hurt her. Never in my life have I tried to understand people's emotions behind their eyes but now not only do I want to know her story but also take away all the pain.

"I am s-sorry, I-," Madalyne stutters as she wipes her cheeks and forehead.

"Shh....It is okay, you can talk about it if you want," I whisper as I hold her close and give her a glass of water. Good thing Atlas brought two.

"I really don't want to," She looks down at her lap before continuing, "Who is Atlas? Where is he? I want to apologize to him, I must have freaked him out," Madalyne begins to get up from the bed when I stop her.

"No, it is not a problem and he is my brother," I pull her closer to me, kissing her cheek, "Go back to sleep." I pull the blanket over her and massage her hair as her eyelids fall heavy. I have so many questions for her but they can wait till tomorrow. I just cannot see her like this. About half an hour later when my eyes fall drowsy, my phone vibrates.