Two

"Nē, izaberu

"Nē, izaberu. (Hey, Ysabelle.)" I turned around as soon as I heard Hanami Abiko, my dorm mate and classmate in Tokyo University, called my name.

"Kyō wa kadai ga arimasu ka? (Do we have assignments today?)" Hanami asked and yawned on her bed.

It was freezing outside and the temperature dropped to 4° today.

I shook my head as I watched the busy street of Tokyo from my room.

Our room was located in the third floor of the dormitory which has the great view of the Tokyo's sakura tree during spring time.

I was so hell-bent with people-watching that I didn't even notice that Hanami had slept and was snoring loudly on her bed.

I couldn't help but to giggle and stood up from my bed.

I pulled out the duvet and wrapped it over her.

The cold temperature was enough to make me feel tired and sleepy today but because I was in a mood to be awake, I opted to listen to the radio instead.

Obviously, being in an entirely different country with a completely different culture, I have to learn and understand their languages and be accustomed to their norms and traditions.

My current J-pop singer today is Anzai Kalen. Her songs are just great.

I immediately fell asleep with my earphones on.

I woke up to the rings from my earphone and found myself talking to my mom, Riva Solomon.

Both of my parents are in the Philippines and are successful in their respective careers. Mom in her cosmetic line and Dad in his Buy and Sell business.

"I miss you so much, my baby girl!" Mom said and I have to groan at her baby talk.

"I'm no longer a baby, Mom!" I exclaimed but immediately zipped my mouth, thinking I might have waken up Hanami but thankfully she's so sleepy to even be awakened by my noise.

I glanced at the clock and realized I have slept for more than an hour.

I looked out the window and saw that it was night time.

The snow had stopped but left its mark on top of cars and a vast white shade of it covered the grounds and the roads.

"What time is it there, Mom?" I asked.

If there's one thing you have to know about me is that I am always forgetful about time zones.

"We are only one hour ahead of you." Mom said truthfully over the phone. "That does it! It's already eight in the evening here! Have you had your dinner yet?"

"Uh, no?" I asked sheepishly and please do remind me next time to not tell mom everything.

Mom started hollering over the phone that my ears hurt because of her nonstop sermons.

"Alright, Mom. I gotta go. I'm starving already." I said and thankfully, she let me go.

"Okay and never skipped meals!" Mom said one last time before hanging up and I stretched my arms and called Hanami.

"Hey, Han!" I called her out loud but she didn't move. "Hanami! HANAMI ABIKO!"

I grinned knowing how much she hates  being called with her full name.

She groaned and stomped on her bed with her eyes closed.

"Onaka ga akimashita. Okonatte yūshoku o tabemashou. (I'm hungry. Let's go and have dinner.)" I said to her and as if on cue, both our stomachs started to complain.

"Shitte iru. Sā, ikimashou! Saigo ni shokuji ni tadoritsuku no wa kaerudesu! (I know. Let's go now! Last to reach the dining is a frog!)" Hanami said standing up and running towards the door while I grabbed her hoodie.

We both laughed when she failed to grab the door and ended up toppling over me.

"Watashi wa anata ga kirai ​​desu, izaberu! (I hate you, Ysabelle!)" Hanami wailed laughing.

"Toshi teru, Hanami! (I love you, Hanami!)" I answered back, laughing as we both stood up and straightened our jogging pants and sweaters.

Now satisfied with our looks, we walked out of our room and into the dining hall downstairs.