Thirteen

First week of January came

And so does the second month of winter season.

Temperature has indeed dropped significantly as classes resume here in Tokyo University. The field was carefully mowed as snow gradually took a break in the day and students ambled their way through the corridors and into their classrooms.

A cold gush of wind blew to my face and I have to hold my breath to control the goosebumps I have began feeling. I will never get used to this weather!

Yes, we don't have uniforms here but my three-layered clothing and winter jacket won't provide sufficient warmth to me. It will be a relief to get to the classroom with full-blast heaters on.

As soon as the first bell rang, I was relieved to see that the heaters are working. How did I know? Our classmates were all glued to it and the instructors have to remind us to stay put to begin their classes.

Lectures passed by in a blur and soon, me and Hanami were on our way to the cafeteria. I was talking with her as we crossed the corridors to the stairs when someone bumped into me from that direction.

Me and the lady both fell to the ground and I could only grunt in reply.

"Nante kotoda! Izaberu! (Oh my gosh! Ysabelle!)" Hanami exclaimed and helped me up. I pulled my body to stand and went to look at the lady who seemed to be in bad shape.

"Nē, misu. Daijōbudesuka? (Hey, Miss. Are you okay?)" I asked and went towards her. Her blonde hair was covering her face as she was touching her right arm which was on the ground.

"Hayaku, hanami. Kanojo o tasukemashou! Dareka ni kankoshi o yonde moraimashou! (Quick, Hanami. Let's help her up! Have someone call the nurse!)"
I said in a firm voice. I was skeptical whether to move her or not because it might  give her more injury than helping her.

In a span of fifteen to twenty minutes, the lady was sent to the clinic at the first floor of our building. Thankfully, the other nurse was doing her rounds that time and was quick to page for help and send the injured to their clinic.

I didn't even think twice so I accompanied her with worry written on my face. I heard Hanami complaining beside me that she is starving and I assured her that we will proceed to the canteen as soon as I know that the lady is fine and well attended to.

"Dō shita nda, josei? (What happened, ladies?)" Nurse Ichiara asked us as she gently checked the lady's arm.

"Kaidan no sugu chikaku no rōka de gūzen butsukarimashita. (We accidentally bumped into each other at the hallway just near the stairs.)" I said and sighed.

"Honkidesu ka? (Are you sure?)" Nurse Ichiara asked and looked at me.

"Oi! Nani o iou to shite iru nodesu ka? (Hey! What are you trying to say?)" Hanami suddenly butted in, her hands on her waist.

"Kanojo no kizu ya dabokushō wa watashiniha gūzen no yō ni wa miemasen. (Her wounds and bruises don't look like accident to me.)" Nurse Ichiara commented and pointed at the long scratched on the lady's arm.
And the lady kept mum about it.

The lady's eyes suddenly flew open and met our gazes as she was laid down on the bed.

"It- it was an accident! Sore wa karera no seide wa arimasendeshita! Watashi wa ie no kaidan ni ochita. (It was not their fault! I fell on the stairs at home.)" The lady stuttered as she explained about her bruises.

" Jikai wa, ashimoto ni chūi shite kudasai. Me o tsukatte kudasai. (Next time, watch your steps. Use your eyes.)" Nurse Ichiara said and the lady sighed. "Anata no namae wa nanidesu ka? (What's your name?)"

"Vanna. Vanna Walters." The lady said and Nurse Ichiara jot it down on her logbook. She turned to face me and flashed me a smile. "Hayaku watashi o tasukete kurete, watashi ga daijōbudearu koto o kakunin shite kurete arigatō. (Thank you for helping me earlier and making sure that I am okay.)"

"Daijōbuda yo. Watashi wa mite imasendeshita. Watashi mo warukatta. (It's fine. I wasn't looking. I'm sorry, too.)" I shook my head and smiled apologetically at her.

"Let me treat you once I'm outta here. Or when we bumped into each other again." Vanna said and I know she wouldn't take no for an answer so I let her be and nodded. Her smile widened and she added, "I know your friend is starving. Go on. I'm fine here."

"Ve-ry." Hanami said, emphasizing the syllables that I have to nudge her sides.

"Oh okay. I'll see you around. Get well soon, Vanna." I said and we are about to head out of the clinic when she called out.

"Wait! Your name, please?" Vanna asked.

"Ysabelle. Call me, Ysa." I called out.

"Alright! See you around, Ysa! Saido, kansha shimasu! (Thanks again!)" Vanna yelled and I chuckled as we close the door behind us.

"Tsuini! Tabemono, koko ni kimashita! (Finally! Food, here we come!)" Hanami exhaled and ran to the counter to order with me following her.

This is gonna be a long day!