Twelve

I was smiling from ear to ear when I finished talking to Florence over the phone

I was smiling from ear to ear when I finished talking to Florence over the phone. She was back to her usual charming self. Bubbly and opinionated. That's just how she is and that's how we became friends.

"Somebody has been smiling like an idiot." I heard a familiar voice scoffed from behind me while blowing off his cup of coffee as he handed the other one to me.

I frowned and took it from him. He let out a sigh before sipping on his own.

"Arigatōgozaimashita. (Thank you.)" I mumbled my thanks and sipped on it. The aroma of the coffee instantly filled my nostrils and it was all I could do not to moan in satisfaction. I certainly don't want to give him the wrong impression! Katashi can really be naughty at times!

"Your boyfriend must be missing you a lot. You seemed to be so jolly awhile ago." He commented and stared at the snow falling from the sky and into the pavement.

In front of their humble abode is an almost snow-filled road. It has gotten to nearly four degrees celsius today and I was already on my four-layered sweater inside their house.

As the dark sky sets in, the colder it gets. It's already past eight in the evening and we had our dinner already.

If there is one thing I will never get used to in living abroad even just temporarily, it's the temperature! It's so freaking cold here! Freezing cold!

I was so tempted to answer him back but I refrained myself from doing so. It's no use arguing with him. He'll just take it as that so I just smirked at him.

"Nē, shin'ainaru. O ni-ri tomo nakayoku shite yokattadesu. (Hey, dears. Glad you're both getting along well.)" Both me and Katashi turned to the sound of someone we know all too well.

Hanami jumped in between us and enclosed us with her arms making us sandwich her as she shivered in the cold. She blew an air between our ears and I shuddered at what she did.

"Aaah! It's already freezing here, Hanami!" I exclaimed in frustration as I rubbed my cheeks while she laughed and her brother chuckled lightly.

"Koko no kion ni narenai to wa omotte momimasendeshita. (I never thought you won't be used to the temperature here.)" Katashi commented as he continued with his coffee. Hanami stayed silent still hugging us both as we stared into the white street in front of us.

"Watashi wa koko ni kite 3kagetsu chikaku ni narimasu. Tenki ni nareru no ni jikan ga kakarimasu. (I have only been here for almost three months. It takes time for me to adjust to the weather.)" I defended myself and I did not notice that I have emptied my mug. I sighed and placed it on top of the railings of the porch.

"Kimitachi wa tatakatte iru no? (Are you guys fighting?)" Hanami asked shifting her eyes from me to him. I can't help not to roll my eyes with Katashi's lopsided smile.

I was expecting Katashi to answer but he just took my empty mug and left us at the porch with Hanami gaping at him, her forehead creased with confusion.

"Anata wa nani o shitte imasu ka, Isa? Watashi ga anata no ryōhō o shiranakattanara, watashi wa anata ga otagai ni kōdō suru hōhō kara anata ga kappurudearu to omoimasu. (You know what, Ysa? If I didn't know you both, I would assume you're a couple from the way you act with each other.)" Hanami shot me an intriguing smile which made my eyes widen in shock and annoyance.

"Sore de, anata wa watashi ga anata no giri no imōtodearu to iu kangae ni kangei sa remasu ka? (So, you're welcome to the thought of me being your sister in-law?)" I said and raised an eyebrow at her, expecting her to show disgust about me and her brother being a couple but it looked like it backfired.

"Ā, kitto watashida! Watashi wa anata o itoshi sugite imasu, yowamushi! Mainichi o ai dekiru no o tanoshiminishiteimasu!" Hanami squealed in delight at the thought and dropped a kiss on my cheek before winking at me. "Soko ni nagaku taizai shinaide kudasai! Mōosoi! Ima kara nemasu! Oyasuminasai, yowamushi! (Oh, you bet I am! I love you too much, sissy! I always look forward to seeing you everyday! Don't stay too long out there! It's already late! I'll be taking a sleep now! Goodnight, sissy!)"

My jaw dropped in realization when my eyes rested on the wall clock. It is indeed past nine in the evening!
Me and Katashi's talk took more than thirty minutes than I expected it to be. And with Hanami around, the conversation became humorous and long.

I shook my head at her analogy of me being linked and being actually getting interested with her brother. I chuckled. If she only knew how I hate his annoying guts.

3rd Person's POV

"Watashi ga saigo ni kanojo ni atte kara dorekurai tachimashita ka? (How long has it been since I last saw her?)" Fumika asked herself as she massaged her furrowed eyebrow.

"Has it been a month ago?" She asked and sighed. She irritably grabbed the glass of water in front of her and drank it.

"Madamu, anata to hanashitai hito ga imasu. (Madame, there's someone who wants to talk to you.) " One of the maids told her and she nodded in approval. She got out only to fetch the person who shortly returned with a lady with long hair and small brown eyes with a coy smile on her face.

"And who are you?" Fumika blurt out fixing her eyes on the lady.

"Anata wa watashinohahadesu ka? (Are you my mother?)" The lady asked shyly. "My name is Kohana Ayame."

Fumika's eyes darted at her and accidentally dropped the glass she was about to place it back on the table.

"Hahaoya? (Mother?)" Fumika repeated, her face ashen in shock. "Me?"

Ayame nodded and all Fumika could do was cover her mouth in disbelief as she gaped at her.

It couldn't be! She has already seen her daughter! It couldn't be this woman!