Twenty Four

3rd Person's POV

Three days had passed since Ysabelle met the Matsumoto couple.

Three days since she knew about the truth about her identity.

She sighed and slumped her face on the table in their dormitory room.

Classes have long been started and Ysabelle is down on the half of her academic exchange program which she has availed because of her high grades.

One month and two weeks more and she will be heading back home to her mo– foster parents‐ in the Philippines.

"YSA! Oi. Daijōbudesuka? (YSA! Hey. You alright?)" Hanami's voice invaded her tired thoughts. She was holding their book in International Business and Trade.

Ysabelle gave her a tight smile and stifled a yawn.

"Anata wa nani o oshietekudasai, anata wa zutto kono koto o yonde imasu. Anata mo pēji o mekutte imasen.(Tell you what, YOU have been reading this thing the whole time. You haven't even flipped on a page...)" Hanami flopped on the bedside facing her. Ysabelle blinked and looked at the book she was supposed to be reading. " I am observing you, my friend. Anata wa yūmeina Matsumoto fūfu ni atte irai, kono yō ni natte imasu. Nani ga ki ni narimasu ka? (You have been this way since you met the famous Matsumoto couple. What's bothering you?)"

"Ysabelle Cojuangco no deribarīpakkēji! (Delivery package for Ysabelle Cojuangco!)" Their dorm-mate, Serene Rivera, another exchange student like her, butted in and flashed them a grin as she held on a huge box and handed it to her.

"Danke, Serene! (Thank you.)" Both Hanami and Ysabelle answered her with a cheerful smile.

Hanami stood up and closed the door to their room before she raised an eyebrow at her.

"Anata ga karera ni atte irai, karera wa anata ni okurimono o okutte imasu! Koko wa hontōni sakana kusai nioi ga shimasu! (They even have been sending you gifts ever since you met them! I really smell something fishy in here! They have been treating you like their own daughter!)" Hanami exclaimed crossing her arms over her chest. "Karera wa anata o jibun no musume no yō ni atsukatte kimashita! Koboshite, Isa. Anata wa karera no nagaku nakunatta kodomodesu ka? (Spill it, Ysa. Are you their long-lost child?)"

"Hai! (Yes!)" Ysabelle said out of frustration and confusion. Hanami's eyes widened. "Wakaranai! Sore wa watashi ga sore ni tsuite watashinohaha ni tachimukau koto ga dekinai to iu watashi no jigoku o iradata semasu. Watashi ga hontōni karera no musumedearu ka dō ka karera ni tazuneru no wa totemo kowaidesu. Ukeireru no wa muzukashi sugiru. (I don't know! It frustrates the hell out of me that I cannot confront my mom about it. I am so scared to ask them if I really am their daughter. It is just too hard to accept.)"

"O - ā, watashi no yo-sa, iza! Watashi wa anata ga korera no koto o keiken shite iru to wa omotte imasendeshita! (O-oh my goodness, Ysa! I never thought that you are going through these things!)" Hanami exclaimed and hugged Ysabelle tightly.

Ysabelle couldn't contain her tears. She closed her eyes in an attempt to wash away her worries and fears.

"Thank you, Hanami. For being such a good friend to me. Even if we just met in class." She said with so much gratitude.

Hanami shook her head and rubbed her shoulders. "Anata wa hōsekidesu. Watashi wa anata no tomodachidearu koto o kesshite kōkai shimasendeshita. Anata wa watashi no imōtodesu! (You are a gem. I never regretted being your friend. You are my sister!)"

---

In the Matsumoto's Household...

"Nani ga okotte iru? Ayame wa musumeda to omotta? (What is going on? I thought Ayame is their daughter?)" One of the helpers asked their cook at the kitchen.

"Shitte iru! Madamu wa saikin kanojo ni takusan tsuiyashite imasu! (I know! Madame has been spending on her a lot lately!)"  Loren, their housemaid, added as she wiped the dining table not far from the kitchen.

It didn't make past Ayame's ears when she walked downstairs to get herself a drink.

She was ready to meet her uncle, Takisi Eriko, also known as Gino in their area at the Tochigi Prefecture.

"Nani? Giron o tsudzukete kudasai. (What? Continue with your discussion.)" Ayame said sarcastically as she poured water on her glass before drinking it. The helpers became silent and she rolled her eyes at them before leaving the mansion. "Tochūdesu. Rōfūfu wa mada watashi ni kuruma o kuremasen. Ojisan, watashi o matte kudasai. (I'm on my way. The old couple still don't give me a car. Wait for me, Uncle.)"

---

"How long do I have to wait? I also have a life back in the Philippines?" Patrick asked his dad when they were alone in his bedroom.

"Son, let's just follow Dad's rules. You will be married to somebody and you will be meeting her anytime this week.

Patrick gaped at him in disbelief. "Are my values and opinions not important to you? Is that so easy to just demand and rule over? I have my own life, Dad!"

"Look, Patrick. You are single! Take this as an opportunity to meet her and make the woman your girlfriend and maybe, even your wife in the future!" His dad explained to him and begged. "Just please, do consider our family's tradition."

"Family?" Patrick scoffed. "I doubt it."