Chap 4; Helga

"A mere human, weak and frail, yet that's what makes them strong"

☁️🌥⛅️🌤☀️🌤⛅️🌥☁️

Humans aren't strong.

They are weak, frail, emotional. They fall apart at any form of failure or misfortune. They cause terrible diseases and wars, yet can never seem to get along. Humans are, to put it simply, not very strong.

Helga isn't an exception. She knows her limits, she knows that her strength is limited to nothing but her own human and useless flesh and blood. She knows that she could fall apart at any failure or misfortune, beg for luck and wealth, cause wars and disease and leave everything for someone else to handle. She knows, that a vampire or a demon could simply come up to her and snap her neck in two. Against any kind of creature, she'd break and die in less than a few seconds.

Helga has lived with that knowledge for eighteen years already, it's nothing surprising. To her it's not scary or unfortunate to be a human though. She knows that through being weak, through being sensitive to death, humans will understand much more about life than the other creatures ever will. They value their life, they live their life, they manage to survive with nothing but their own flesh and blood. Supernaturals can't, Helga knows that they could never survive as humans, and that's what makes humans strong, what makes them weaker.

With that value on her mind, Helga has lived on in relative peace and pride. She has a scar on her body for every time she has faced a challenge and survived. Each time has made her stronger. Her human body keeps her back and keeps her grounded, but there is a stronger will inside that she never changed or faltered, no matter how hard people have tried.

Born into the cold and harsh north, Helga doesn't remember much from her early childhood.

She can see snow, darkness and cold in her old memories, but there is not much else. A lot of loneliness, for the fact is that she didn't have anyone but herself in her life. Helga doesn't remember how or why, but her conscious memories start at six years old. She lived in an old house, several miles away from the nearest city, in the cold and harsh north where snowstorms were common and the summers short. For the first few years she survived by walking to school six times a week and eating the food that they served there. Sometimes she stole some to eat later, but it often got cold on the long way home.

Why she was there, how she was there and alone were questions she never got an answer to. She can't remember anything from before six years old, can't remember a single thing. She was unbelievably skinny because of the lack of food, but strong thanks to the constant waking back and forth. Why she never asked for help was easy. The country in the north was poor, everyone were struggling with their own things and had no time for another orphan lost in the cold tundra.

All the way until she turned ten years old, Helga lived like that. Alone, working for her survival, constantly cold and hungry. That's what makes her stronger than any supernatural with powers ever could. She survived with only her own strength and willpower, a voice in her head whispering to her that she needs to keep going, that there is a purpose for her later in life. Helga listened to that voice and continued living.

Every morning she got up from her cold mattress on the floor, frozen and hungry. She crawled over to her fireplace and lit it again, watching the flames go by and warm up the house as much as it could. She had no clock, no way to tell the time. In fall and spring she could follow the sun, make sure that she knew when it was morning and when it was night. That way she was rarely late to school. But in the winters, when the darkness stretched over 20 hours of the day, or the summers, where the sun never set over the horizon, it was harder to tell the time. She distracted herself by going to bed when tired, working for food and warmth and water when awake.