Chap 39; It's almost perfect

"This is a very harmful method of self torture"

☁️🌥⛅️🌤☀️🌤⛅️🌥☁️

⚠️ Blood, non suicidal self harm, violence and injury, mentions of war and death, toxic family ⚠️

"Sit down Helga, you'll need it"

Sometimes, the life we imagine and the life that's real don't align.

Sometimes things that seemed so difficult before are easy now.

And sometimes, things happen without our control.

Like death,

Like, abandonment,

Like, love.

Wendy wasn't a completely normal demon.

She had faults, things that were different. Like the fact that she hid in the world of humans, pretending to be one of them. Before the Great War, the humans were so vulnerable and naive. She could easily hide among them. A pleasure demon is what she was, and she thrived from tricking humans into her traps and gaining strength from it. Thrived from tricking bad people into giving her their money, their lives, and then disappearing. That's what a pleasure demon is good at after all, tricking, luring in.

Wendy was her human name. Coming from a small, later dead clan, she had no other name. As an orphan Wendy moved to the human world, pretended to be a human and lived with the other orphans at a catholic orphanage. After tainting every nun and orphan at that place, she moved on to live in the city. Jumping from person to person, country to country, gaining millions in the process. As soon as she came, she disappeared. Taking all the money, all the lust and love with her. Leaving them with nothing.

And for many years, that was how she lived. And it was fine.

But because of an ancient gift from the moongoddess, known as "the ability to have a mate", Wendy couldn't stay like that forever. The guy who ended up becoming her mate was cold. The complete opposite of her. His eyes were a dull gray, he cared only about work and nothing else. He was a demon like her, but that only made it worse. He was practically a walking corpse, constantly looking hollow and serious. Wendy hated being with him, from the moment she gazed into his eyes. And he... she didn't know how he felt. He never talked about his emotions, he didn't have any emotions.

But despite the hate she had for him and his dullness, he was her mate, and she couldn't help falling for him. Hopea Earth, a senior official in the Earth clan. That was who he was, and she was just Wendy. A demon pretending to be a human, a demon with no home, simply surviving in the big wide world. Against humans, she was unstoppable. Against demons, she was nothing. Just another trickster.

Hopea didn't know this. He invited her to his clan, made it official that she was his mate. She became a member of the clan, but stayed mostly inside their room, not having anything to do. Life was slowly killing her, the more time went by. She felt like she was withering away, no place in the world. Her character was being Hopea's mate, nothing else, her life didn't matter. And to make it worse, Hopea never changed his ways. Never stopped being cold, being serious, obsessed with work. Never really cared, only keeping her around for formality. Wendy wondered how he could be so dull, did he not feel anything at all?