Chap 9; In the gardens

"Not how it was supposed to go"

☁️🌥⛅️🌤☀️🌤⛅️🌥☁️

Maarya never really thinks about her future mate.

She is so consumed by both her studies and plans to leave home one day, training for the future and magic that she doesn't have time to even consider a mate. Since she's a Moonwitch, mostly, her parents thought that it was obvious. Their daughter would get a witch or shifter mate which they would harshly consider before accepting. They never expected anything else. That was the future and so it would forever be.

Maarya presented herself to the public for the first time just a few months ago, at her eighteenth birthday. Maryann, Cassy and Vivy thought that their daughter would be safe enough now, at least under their protection. But she is still not allowed to leave the palace, her life isn't very different now, other than the occasional people she has to meet and socialize with. Maarya isn't satisfied, and so she continues to daydream about the future, about the day she will finally be free.

Today is one of those days. One of the days where she need to socialize. And today is the most important out of all of those days, because today they are meeting the new leader of the Earth clan. From time to time Maarya misses Hopea, misses the way he would visit. He was one of the few people who knew about her existence back then, who could see her and talk to her. She wasn't invisible to him, now that her uncle is gone, it feels a little emptier. Especially now, when the new leader is coming to visit. His presence will only remind them further of the fact that Hopea is gone, and will never return.

Maarya stands in front of the mirror, looking at her clothing with a simple squint in her eyes. She doesn't really know much about clothes, what is appropriate and when. If Maryann got to choose, she would make Maarya wear her full and traditional Moonwitch dress. Maarya only wears half of it, draped over her upper body. She settles with white dress pants that are easy to run and fight in, a black belt with her purple sword in and her hair slightly decorated with crystals. She can't wear the ceremonial hairdo that Moonwitches wear because her hair is too short. She cut it slightly above her shoulders just a few weeks ago, it matches her much better now.

She looks at herself in the mirror one last time, tilting her head, before someone bursts through the door. Much like always it's her mother Maryann, but Vivy is in toe, draping herself over the shorter supernatural. The demon Vivy smiles at her daughter and gives a thumbs up at her outfit, Maryann sighing at the lack of a ceremonial dress but smiling either way.

"The guests are arriving in a few minutes, hurry up child"

Maarya rolls her eyes. She touches up her hair once more with a frown, wondering if she should've paid more attention to hair and fashion earlier in her life, before following her mothers through the palace corridors. Servants that don't manage to move away in time bow down as they pass, guards straightening up and looking tough in front of the strict clan leaders. Maarya doesn't bother to look at the decor of the hallways and rooms, but if she did, she would see huge paintings, walls with golden and white tapestries, floors of white marble and high ceilings. Heavy silk curtains hang from the tall windows and glass chandeliers hang from the ceiling. Maarya has seen this all of her life, she isn't very bothered, doesn't think about it very much.

They walk from her own quarters, through the floor where she lives and down the stairs towards the first floor. Cassy, Vivy and Maryann thought it would be best if they welcomed the guests on the backside of the palace, the huge garden with a white marble terrace. They walk through the many rooms and hallways and if Maarya wasn't so well trained she'd be dead tired by the time they reached the main doors to the back gardens. The glass doors are opened by two strong guards, and even they break a sweat while doing so. Maarya takes a deep breath to steady her annoyed thoughts, walking out into the huge palace terrace.