Chap 30; A monster

"Sometimes you have to step away and take care of your own problems before helping others solve theirs"

☁️🌥⛅️🌤☀️🌤⛅️🌥☁️

"What is the purpose of an angel?"

That question would've been simple years ago.

Before she realized how wrong they were. Before she understood that nothing was ever for her, instead it was always against her. Before the clouds in the distance turned from beautiful to terrifying, from a calming home to a closed in prison.

"Answer me!"

Delilah can't help but flinch. She is terrified. Scared of the howling sorrow inside that won't show its face, and the emptiness that replaces it. The dull feeling that has changed her smile to a gray frown. Her light blue eyes that have gone from innocent and curious to crushed and destroyed. Screaming, tearing itself apart, the angry and sad feeling inside her stomach and heart make her nauseous and restless. The way she can't think of anything else, can't fear or love anyone else. The way it feels like her heart is no longer beating, or maybe she wishes it wasn't. Maybe she wishes that she was dead.

"To protect and to be pure"

Delilah is seated on her soft bed. It used to be her safe place, where she hid under the covers and read books or cried. It has big, soft white covers, fluffy pastel blue pillows and a mattress to die for. Now it doesn't feel warm or comforting. Rather she feels sick, the covers cold and rough, the soft mattress uncomfortable and the pillows glaring at her. There is a lump in her throat as she speaks, her voice shaking because of it. Delilah's gaze is pointed downwards, her head too heavy to ever look up again.

"Do you think the little stunt that you just pulled is right then? Was it to protect? Was it pure?!"

Next to her bed stands Aarin, high and mighty in her pink and white dress. The bedroom door is closed behind them. Outside it's dark and the older angel didn't turn on any lights, so the whole room is draped in shadows. Delilah can only see the angry look on her sisters face, which she has grown quite used to over the past few years, and the glaring white walls of the palace of beauty. She never thought of coming back here again, yet here she is. Nothing seems to have changed. She is still being yelled at, still being forgotten. It has only been a few minutes since she woke up, completely horrified to realize that she is alone in the angel dimension.

"And you? Have you followed our purpose?"

But the little angel is angry. She doesn't understand why Aarin keeps preaching about purity and purpose, when she herself can't seem to do it. When last has anyone been protective over Delilah, other than her mates? When last have their actions been pure towards her? Delilah is disgusted. How can she as the youngest princess protect anyone, if nobody protects her? How can she be pure, kind and obedient when there is nobody who to be that way to. Aarin crosses her arms and sends a glare towards her younger sibling, which normally would send shivers down Delilah's spine.

"What?"

Delilah sighs before standing up and facing her sister.

"Have you ever protected me?"

Aarin squints her eyes. She is stronger than Delilah, taller than Delilah, older than Delilah and her position is higher. The younger should show nothing but respect, yet here she is, challenging the older. There are tears in Delilah's eyes, but also something so empty and dull, she can stand stone faced in front of one of the angel dimensions strongest supernaturals.